May 13, 2024, 06:04:04 AM

Author Topic: 200+ flights maintenace?  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: 200+ flights maintenace?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:04:22 AM »
that is an odd one for sure.

the gear looked just like that when you disassembled it, or you did more damage to it as you disassembled it? i am asking if you are thinking the gear looked like that before the beginning of the last flight. with the pin no longer holding the gear at all, i don't see how that trans was driving the tail at all without the gear simply spinning on the shaft. 

by assembly method i meant how you went through the trans during the build. these parts are preassembled to ensure parts count and correct parts being provided. you need to take everything apart, clean any machining oil off of threads and out of holes, then lock tight and reassemble. 

did you have the M3 washer on the top of the bearing around the M3x12 setscrew? the orientation of the top bearing block should have kept any pieces of the bearing from going down into the trans, and the M3 washer should have kept any pieces of the bearing from going up also.

if anyone else has seen anything like this before an can advise to what may have caused this, please speak up.

Hi Mike

The gear looked like this when I took it out, and the pin was engaged, so it was barely driving the tail.

As I told you it was assembled as per instrucitions i.e. dissassembled, cleaned and locktited.

The M3 washer was in place keeping everything together, no parts went into the transmission.

this is what I am confused about. what happened to the gear. these gears are delrin, they don't just break like that. I think this gear was somehow compromised when the pin was originally installed and the gear broke in the crash.

where do you live? it is freezing cold there?

I am hoping someone that has seen something similar chimes in. that is such odd damage though, I doubt anyone has seen this before. lol
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline troasb

Re: 200+ flights maintenace?
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 09:17:27 AM »
that is an odd one for sure.

the gear looked just like that when you disassembled it, or you did more damage to it as you disassembled it? i am asking if you are thinking the gear looked like that before the beginning of the last flight. with the pin no longer holding the gear at all, i don't see how that trans was driving the tail at all without the gear simply spinning on the shaft. 

by assembly method i meant how you went through the trans during the build. these parts are preassembled to ensure parts count and correct parts being provided. you need to take everything apart, clean any machining oil off of threads and out of holes, then lock tight and reassemble. 

did you have the M3 washer on the top of the bearing around the M3x12 setscrew? the orientation of the top bearing block should have kept any pieces of the bearing from going down into the trans, and the M3 washer should have kept any pieces of the bearing from going up also.

if anyone else has seen anything like this before an can advise to what may have caused this, please speak up.

Hi Mike

The gear looked like this when I took it out, and the pin was engaged, so it was barely driving the tail.

As I told you it was assembled as per instrucitions i.e. dissassembled, cleaned and locktited.

The M3 washer was in place keeping everything together, no parts went into the transmission.

this is what I am confused about. what happened to the gear. these gears are delrin, they don't just break like that. I think this gear was somehow compromised when the pin was originally installed and the gear broke in the crash.

where do you live? it is freezing cold there?

I am hoping someone that has seen something similar chimes in. that is such odd damage though, I doubt anyone has seen this before. lol

I don't think the gear broke in the crash ( a very light crash not damaging the tail), the wear pattern indicates that it has taken place over time and the tail transmission was engaged after the crash. And the engaging gear has unnormal heavy wear to indicate the same. I think the bearing broke causing the damage.

I live in sothern Norway. June, July and August is the summer months here and we have temperatures now up to 25 C and people go swimming in the sea. But fall is coming and by November/ December we start to get freezing temperatures that last until April when spring comes. But we fly all year!