May 02, 2024, 05:29:14 AM

Author Topic: Question about Boto-Lube BD- and equivalents  (Read 717 times)

Offline OrbitalGolem

Question about Boto-Lube BD- and equivalents
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »
Does anyone know if Boto-Lube BD-001 is equivalent to Molykote G-4700 Extreme Pressure Synthetic Grease?  Can the Molykote be substituted?

I've typically used SuperLube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease on the thrust bearings, etc.  Is it not recommended for the Synergy models?

Offline M.Schmavs

Re: Question about Boto-Lube BD- and equivalents
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 08:41:37 PM »
I know this is an old question and you probably have your answer by now but I wanted to chime in for future users.

The only spec I see is EP synthetic grease. Moly is fine but probably overkill unless you're flying in the arctic. I would stay away from "multi-purpose" lubes that are not EP. Make sure you get Extreme Pressure spec'd Synthetic Grease.

With that said, I'm using common Synthetic, Extreme-Pressure wheel bearing grease you can find at any parts store. Less than $10 for 1lb/~450 grams.

I greased the bearings after my 5th flight today at full positive, full negative and neutral positions. Powered the servos on and went through the full ranges with the sticks a few times. I can't see that being an issue. I'll likely do it again after 10 more flights, then 15 more, then 20 more and probably stick to 20 flights as my Preventative Maintenance interval where I'll remove the blades, check the spindle screws, and a bunch of other stuff, etc..

If there is a specific procedure, I haven't seen it yet. Hope this helps!