May 02, 2024, 06:50:51 AM

Author Topic: Questions for an upcoming owner  (Read 938 times)

Offline woodscra

Questions for an upcoming owner
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:24:49 AM »
I am seriously considering to buy a 516 to return to the hobby after a while.  So a few questions:

I will go with the recommended MKS servos, which servo arms are best for the correct hole position and break-away?

I am thinking headspeeds of 2200-2600, xnova 1350kv with a 17 pinion running a HW V4 or Tribunus.  Thoughts or issues?

What tail ratio should I use with the above?  Also educate me, why that tail ratio?

Brain/Ikon 2 for FBL - there is a screen to select the size of heli, one option ends at 510, and the other is 510-600.  I was going to choose the latter.  Thoughts?

Thank you for reading.

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
Re: Questions for an upcoming owner
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
Brain/ikon choose 510-600
Will you be keeping it as a 516 or stretching it to 556? If you are a sport flyer consider stretching it.
The stock tail setup is fine for the higher headspeeds and 516 blades. If you stretch it I would consider the speed up pulley depending on your headspeed. I fly mine stretched with 16t pinion and speed up pulley for the tail. I run 2100 and 2200.
The XNova 1350 is a great choice. I would lean towards hobbywing for the ESC. If you flew VControl the tribunus integrates well.

Pm me if I can be of any assistance putting together what you need.

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:18:59 PM »
The 516 was my "getting back into the hobby" choice. I was out for over 10 years and feels great to be back with this model. Flies much better than any of my old ones.

I'm using an Xnova 1200kV motor keeping head speed around 2,350RPM. Flies perfect for me and my back-to-basics learning curve.

I'm using the 25T SAB servo horns with MKS servos on the 15mm hole. I did have to grind off the end of the elevator arm as it was too long and hitting the motor. They're also a little thick for the ball link threads but the nuts are red loc-tited and I don't foresee them backing off. Synergy recommends a 13.5mm hole for the tail servo and the included horns with the cyclic servos fit that measurement.

I agree with Alan on the HobbyWing ESC. Easy to setup and even looks good with the Xnova motor.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:20:31 PM by M.Schmavs »

Offline woodscra

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
Thank you for writing.

Alan - staying at 516.  what kv do you use with 16t?

Schmavs - which pinion do you have?  From where did you purchase the sab servo horns?

Adding another element, I am leaning toward a Graupner MZ-16 radio.  I see that they also sell ESCs, any experience with them?  Seems they have good integrated telemetry.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 04:28:13 PM »
I have the stock 18T pinion and the stock tail gear. Originally I put the 16T pinion and 18T tail gear on BUT with a 1200kV motor, the head speed was a bit too low for my liking.

Offline woodscra

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
Thanks.

And from where did you buy the SAB servo arms?
Any other not-kit items you bought and used/tried for this heli?

Best place to buy the heli? 
What mAh batts are you using?  Flight time?

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 02:11:58 PM »
Oh sorry, I forgot about the other question, haha

I got the arms from Amain hobbies. I also got the kit from them but really the price is the same anywhere so I would find who can ship it the fastest and cheapest. I got free shipping on the kit but it took over a week to arrive. Amain is good for smaller stuff in my opinion and it helps to shell out the extra $2-3 for USPS shipping. They process the orders fast and USPS delivers fast. Their free shipping takes forever.

I'm using GensAce 45C 5000mAh batteries. I can get 10 minutes with room to spare but I've since cut that down to 8 minutes to save on charging time. Keep in mind, I'm only flying slow forward circuits. I'm not ready to get back into 3D just yet so I'm really taking my time with relearning and not getting too excited too fast. I know I'll crash if I fly like I used to without enough practice and confidence building.

You definitely will not regret it! There's also a video build series on YouTube I recommend checking out. It's straight forward but there are some helpful tips, especially when installing the main shaft.

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
I’m using a pyro 600-12 (1200kv).
16t pinion. Stretched.

Hit me up via PM if you are in need of a kit. I also carry the Mikado horns which work quite well.

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »
"Any other not-kit items you bought and used/tried for this hell?"

Sorry, I realized I forgot this question too.

I didn't modify this kit other than a carbon canopy and a carbon tail boom.

Thinking about getting one or both Mikado 90 degree antenna brackets to experiment with. Also, not sure if my kit came with the new flex skids but maybe those too. My radio had a faulty potentiometer, glitched and resulted in a hard-ish landing but no damage so I'm probably okay without.

With that said, I pretty much modded every other kit in the past, some even before the first flight. I've made general reinforcements, upgraded hardware, removed things for weight, moved things for weight, etc., etc..

I just haven't found anything that needs much extra attention on the 516. I really like the tail boom doesn't require struts and the battery tray is pretty easy to use with a little practice. (I bought an extra one) and everything is pretty much mounted as high as it can go.

Random notes: I do find the servo arrangement to be odd but it works. The belt tensioner is also odd but it also works. I think it works because it's dynamic and ever changing so don't be surprised to see it move. I think a better, less exposed spring tensioner is probably best for the future... like a serpentine belt style tensioner.

Hope this helps! Let us know when you make your purchase.