May 02, 2024, 07:58:33 AM

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 615 times)

Offline M.Schmavs

Is this normal?
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:43:16 PM »
So, my radio had a failed potentiometer and started changing collective whenever it wanted. Pretty scary but luckily, it was only a scare. Had it fixed under warranty and I'm finally back to flying. After my normal pre-flight inspection, I put a few flights in today and decided to give the model a deeper inspection at days end. I found a few things.

First, is it normal to have some up and down movement in the main blade grips? e.g., if I apply upward pressure to the bottom of the blades, the grips move up and fall back down with gravity. It's not the spindle or the dampers moving and there is no in-and-out play. It appears to be the tolerance in the thrust bearings and grips and is pretty equal movement on both. Normal?

Second, Did I put the wrong set screw in the tail hub? I found the pitch link hitting it at full travel. I removed it to recheck it's set correctly. It is. I don't think it was binding but I did back the servo travel off just a few clicks. I originally looked at the gap of the slider and hub when setting travel but found the set screw to be the limiting factor.

Lastly, I think this is just my bearing torque mentality, but I found my washout bearings and belt tensioner bearings a little loose. When I built the model, I didn't really crank those down and just let the loctite do the work. They were tight before the maiden. Anyway, I ended up reassembling those parts and gave the screws my normal torque. I'm sure it won't affect bearing performance as the screws just capture the inner races.
HOWEVER, the outer bearings still move a bit in the washout arms. Anyone else laterally wiggle there and experience movement?

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:57:27 PM »
Main Blade Grips..  That is not normal. You may be missing a spacer between the thrust bearings and radial bearing.  But you did say there is no in and out play? Sounds like there is no preloading of the dampeners occurring.  I would tear down the grips and recheck everything.  Be sure the inner and out races are done correctly. Also be sure you have the 1mm washer between the grip and the head block.

Tail hub set screw..  Yep sounds like it's too long. It should not stick out of the hub.  Assuming it is correctly seated into the tail output shaft dimple?

Are you saying the bearings on the washout arms do not fit snuggly in the arms? A little green loctite might help but I never experienced this.  May want to try another set of bearings.

Cheers
Alan
Team Helilids RC

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:33:59 AM »
I typed out a response but cancelled and decided to send you a PM. I think this would be better shown through video.

I'll update the thread after a solution.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
Just an update in case anyone stumbles on this thread:

I pulled everything apart in the head, rechecked and reassembled. The play is still there. My best guess is the tolerance between the grips and the outer races of the bearings and their radial play. Same with the washout arms.

The set screw is seated correctly in the tail shaft. Best thing to do is find a shorter screw or grind a thread or two off the current one.

I don't think there's anything left to do but just fly it! I'm probably just overthinking.