May 05, 2024, 08:34:47 PM

Author Topic: Canopy rubbing main gear n7?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline eobie

Canopy rubbing main gear n7?
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »
This happening to anyone else?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Darren Lee

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: Canopy rubbing main gear n7?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
All you need to do is apply some heat and reform the side that's rubbing.  Each canopy may be slightly different.
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Morgan Fuel

Offline eobie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »
That was my guess. Just hope it doesn't go back when it starts getting warmer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »
Canopies all start the same shape. Due to shipping they sometimes distort. The good news is that the canopy has a memory and really wants to go back to its original shape. Slowly applying heat with a heat gun will bring the canopy back to its original shape.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Matt

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
Concur, mine was close to the main gear, I used a heatshrink gun to heat the canopy.
With the canopy off, put my hand on the outside and heated from the inside twisting it slightly out at the bottom. My hand felt pretty warm but then I wouldn't over do the heat and damage the paint. A lot more clearance now and it is holding the proper shape.
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:45 PM »
On my N5CTT I installed the canopy and used an appropriately cut dowel to hold the canopy apart where it wanted to make contact with the main gear.  At this time I applied a bit of heat to both sides in a somewhat line between the mounting points intersecting the dowel.  I left the dowel in until the canopy had completely cooled.  Problem fixed.

Concerning shipping damage:  my first N5CTT canopy came out of the box with a chip in the paint.  Matt replaced it and did not even as for the chipped one back.  Thank you very much!

Offline richardmid1

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:45 AM »
I had this problem along with trouble locating the cups in the canopy inline with the front mounts due to the usual spreading of the canopy as you put it on.

Well I killed 2 birds with 1 stone by adding a longer m3 cap screw to the front mounts and screwing an m3 nut sandwiched between 2 m3 washers upto the stand off then reinstalling it. So basically I spaced the front stand offs out a little. I now have no main gear rub and the canopy is easier to locate at the front.  :)

Offline Steve Graham

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
I was extremely happy with the close tolerances on mine.  Close but no rubbing.  It's good to know there's an easy fix if it ever develops.
Trying in vain not to anger the gods of vertical flight!

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
I had to heat mine again, 1 side of the front cups didn't engage. Gents, you need to squeeze the canopy at the front mountings gently while you slide it on.
This time I put a few layers of corrugated card between the gear and canopy holding off about a cm. then heated gently with a heat shrink gun all over, its perfect now, have to push the sides in quite a bit to make the gear rub, it also engaes the front cups easier too  :)
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline eobie

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
He.. I thought i solved my problem but realized that I never had the front cups in all the way. Main gear was rubbing last night so I stuck some popsicle stick between the canopy and the main gear and went over it with the heat gun. Went straight to bed and didnt get to check it this morning, but i hope the problem as been solved.

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:43 AM »
He.. I thought i solved my problem but realized that I never had the front cups in all the way. Main gear was rubbing last night so I stuck some popsicle stick between the canopy and the main gear and went over it with the heat gun. Went straight to bed and didnt get to check it this morning, but i hope the problem as been solved.

If there is not enough gap you will find that you need to exaggerate the distance between gear and canopy whilst heating, it will always spring back a bit.  Also the canopy dissipates heat in no time so you can check results after a few minutes or so.
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline Steviepoo

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 01:43:40 AM »
If there is not enough gap you will find that you need to exaggerate the distance between gear and canopy whilst heating,

This. I folded up a towel and jammed it between the canopy and main gear. It moved back in a bit but there's still more than enough room.
Synergy E5s: SK540, Ice2 80HV, Quantum 4125-560, Rail 606/96
Synergy E7: VBAR, HeliJive 120, Pyro 700-45, Rail 716/116
Synergy N7: VBAR, OS105HZ-R, Rail 696/106
Citizen #112

Offline mdu6

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 08:50:22 AM »
While talking canopy - any ideas if the canopy could use some strenghtning around the front or back mounting holes ?

flyalan

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »
While talking canopy - any ideas if the canopy could use some strenghtning around the front or back mounting holes ?

I don't think that would be necessary.  Pretty stout in my opinion. 

Cheers

Alan