May 05, 2024, 05:09:26 PM

Author Topic: Clutch engages a little at idle  (Read 1638 times)

Offline bmclaurin

Clutch engages a little at idle
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:08:14 PM »
Guys, I'm planning to maiden my N7 tomorrow. I paid particular attention to ensure the proper alignment of my clutch stack, and everything appears to spin freely and smoothly when turning the start shaft by hand. I can also spin the clutch bell by hand (main gear removed), and it spins freely without rubbing on the clutch liner. But when idling, the blades want to spin slowly (maybe one revolution every 3 seconds or so). Idle speed is good, but even at low rpm's, the clutch starts grabbing the liner. If I hold the blades with my hand to prevent them from spinning at idle, you start to smell the liner burning a little.

I have dropped and reinstalled the engine a couple times, and have triple checked the stack alignment, but no matter what I do, the blades spin at idle. I'm tempted to just go ahead and fly it a few times, and hopefully it will wear in just enough after a few flights. If that doesn't work, any suggestions on what to try next? Perhaps trying a new clutch or liner?

Barry
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:25:53 PM by bmclaurin »
Electric: Synergy E7SE, Synergy E5, Logo 600SX, Henseleit TDR
Nitro: Synergy N5c, Synergy N7

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: Clutch engages a little at idle
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:55:55 AM »
Sounds normal to me on a new liner. I would just fly it as is. It will wear in, that's for sure.
Team Synergy

Offline mdu6

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »
I haven't check what is the actual gap between the clutch and liner but I prefer to have a bit of drag at idle first (and as you mention - get it gradually worn in)  then to have a large gap and clutch shoe failure !

Offline Mike King

• Field Representative
  • Viva la nitro!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
I would agree on the above comments.  Sounds to me like it's just a fresh liner that needs to be run in a bit.
Mike King
Field Representative

Offline bmclaurin

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
Excellent...thanks, guys. Only my second nitro, so I'm still not completely sure about what is normal on certain things. Really appreciate the help. Now I can fly with confidence.  8)

Barry

Offline bmclaurin

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »
Well, now I feel really silly for having asked this question. Maiden flights were perfect. It took all of about 3 easy flights for the clutch to stop rubbing. Can't wait to get my engine more broken in so I can let the N7 stretch its legs. I'm struck by how visible the canopy is. Great job all around, Matt.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30:23 PM »
Congrats!

Sent from my MotoX via Tapatalk2

Rodney

Team Synergy