May 06, 2024, 04:31:55 AM

Author Topic: Chasing Ghosts - Fan shroud  (Read 4563 times)

Offline cyprusflyer

Re: Chasing Ghosts - Fan shroud
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
Thanks Rob, have a couple of liners on the way now, really need to sort out my throttle discipline, got it fine on electrics, stupid error probably due to frustration with the 105 needle valve issue.
Maybe it would be good to identify what liners are suitable, would think that getting the correct thickness would be vital for the gap.
I actually put a fuel tube on the wrong end of that needle valve assembly with the valve supposedly closed and started the pump, fuel just pours out, ah well hoping the OS91 valve will work better, I must have been one of the unlucky ones with this engine unless I am missing something here!
Alun
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:23:10 PM by cyprusflyer »
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline GScott

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »
If it's the HZ-R then it may be a bad regulator. I had the same issue last summer with the regulator on mine. With both needles completely closed it would still run so rich that fuel would spit out of the muffler. The problem disappeared when I swapped to a non-regulated carb. One day I will actually send the carb in to have it repaired.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »
Alright, so after reading Alun's last few posts, I'm starting to see some similarities between his engine and mine.

Learning curve but figured why my starter was struggling, not a hydro lock but its running so rich on the book settings there is tons of oil in the engine, had to take the glo plug off again, turn over for a few secs then all was OK. Only run up with no blades in the yard so only the idle set up for now.

This also happened to me several times before I added a fuel line clamp between the filter and the carb so I can insure there's no fuel flow to the carb while I'm filling the tank.  There were some other posts stating this wasn't necessary with the regulator because it shouldn't let fuel flow unless the carb is pulling vacuum.  I should have taken a look at the regulator then, but didn't.

This weekend I went to adjust my high speed needle, because my engine is still running a bit rich, only to find that my high speed needle is also completely closed.  If it is the regulator that's really the problem, swapping out the needle assy isn't going to really fix it.  Granted, you might be able to get the needle adjusted to the point where it's no longer running rich but that will just be a band-aid to the real problem if it's really the regulator.

I think I'm going to disassemble and clean my regulator.  I'll remove the fuel line clamp and then start over on the needle adjustments.
Rodney

Team Synergy

flyalan

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
After my Second run on the 105 I neglected to release the tank pressure and it had about 1/2 tank still remaining.  The next morning I went out to fly it.  Refueled and of course realized i still had some pressure in the tank.  I proceeded to start but had a severe hydrolock.  After clearing it out the engine ran fine and has never done that since even when I didn't release the pressure.  Not sure but I am thinking that regulator may have picked up a small bit of debris which caused it to remain open at least long enough for fuel to free flow into the carb. 

Again no problems since so hopefully that was a fluke... I do have a fuel line clip in place just in case though.

Cheers

Alan

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
The times that mine did it, I tried starting the motor right after re-fueling it in between flights and there was zero pressure in the tank.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 01:12:02 AM »
Think I have ruled out the regulator, tested and working fine, in fact my tank pressure holds for at least 30 minutes between flights, hisses every time.
The regulator is a bit like a glorified one way valve, there is fairly high pressure fuel coming in, that is released through the regulator by a vacuum on the carb side. Heres a tip to test:

1. I found a plastic pen with a cone shaped bottom part that will go through the regulator ring but wedge some way down.

2. Saw off such that 2 or 3 mm goes inside to form a seal.

3. Wedge it in and seal the other side with your finger.

4, Suck through the pen tube, it should be dead easy, air should flow through the regulator.

5. Blow and it should be impossible.

6. Connect a clean piece of fuel tube tube to the fuel nipple and it should be impossible to blow through.

Mine does all that fine so as I see it, a vacuum is amplified by the diaphram and opens a valve, high pressure fuel flows and is then metered by the needle valve. I may be wrong but I dont think the regulator plays a large part in fuel metering, I accept that way out UNDEMANDED pressure would cause havoc.
My initial starting problems were down to crazy rich settings and a lot of oil in the engine, that hasn't happened since I set the needles to 1 turn main and half on Mid, in fact Sullivan started reliably every time on a 3S battery.

Had another thought, downloaded the manual for the OS105 HZ, non regulated the needle valve holders are different, part no for regulated is: 29088940  and for the Non regulated 29085940, so could those little chaps at OS be putting a wrong part on there? It would probably be difficult to tell the difference!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:16:06 AM by cyprusflyer »
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline GScott

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »
The problem I had was definitely the regulator. It was somehow not closing enough and letting way too much fuel through. With both needles completely closed raw fuel would still spill out the muffler.

Chris mentioned the translation error but I haven't been able to find the thread on HF.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 09:16:04 AM »
The translation error is in the description of the initial high speed needle setting.

Rodney

Team Synergy