May 08, 2024, 07:22:08 PM

Author Topic: Hercules Super BEC  (Read 9264 times)

Offline NKY Heli Guy

Hercules Super BEC
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »
I bought the Western Robotics Super Hurcules for my BEC prior to receiving my Heli. I have heard and been told by others that the BEC is best placed toward the front away from the receiver/flybarless unit, since this is the case the output wires (wires connected to receiver) would need servo extensions to reach the back of Heli and where the receiver is. I called Western Robotics support today just to verify my set up is correct. They told me in no way should I extend the output wires leading to the receiver that in fact the only wires that should be extended should be the inputs.

If this is the case my BEC should be placed toward the back of the Heli. Western Robotics said there would be no interference with the receiver in this scenario.... Where should I mount the BEC now? Exterior on the frame?. Does anyone have an E5 using the super Hurcules? Help

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
Re: Hercules Super BEC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »
I was going to mount my CC BEC Pro in the front under the ESC using the servo extensions.  So is this a bad idea then?
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
I was going to mount my CC BEC Pro in the front under the ESC using the servo extensions.  So is this a bad idea then?

Seriously? Math and Ohms Law proves there is almost no difference seen at the plug ends.  Electrically, there is no reason that the BEC can't be mounted on the front.   The designer of the E5 has his on the front! Reinvent the wheel if you must but, mine rolls fine.

See post number 10:  http://synergyrchelicopters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1236.0

Rich
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:21:12 PM by RichL »
Synergy E5: Scorpion HKIII 4025-1100, CC ICE2 120HV, Rail 556/96, V-Bar Silverline

Synergy E7: Quantum 4530-500, CC ICE2 160HV, Rail 716/116, V-Bar Silverline

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »
That's what I'm going to do.  Going to give a call in a second, waiting for the dealership to call so we can pick up my wife's car.

www.inner3.com

flyalan

Hercules Super BEC
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
In addition I wouldn't recommend putting anything on the rear of the frame unless  necessary. The E5 needs weight the up front to get the CG correct.
Cheers
Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
Is it ok to put the receiver in the rear though?  That was my plan.

www.inner3.com

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
I prefer the BEC Pro over the WR Super BEC
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
I previously used a WR Hercules Super BEC http://www.western-robotics.com/hercules-super-BEC_hp.html.  The older version has 5.2V/6V/8.4/9.0V.  The voltage options of the newer version may be better for voltages used with helicopters, 5.2V/6V/7.4V/8.2V.

The WR Hercules Super BEC seems more robust than the BEC Pro.  The WR is rated for up to 14S, where the BEC Pro has had reported issues when on 12S.

However, I had issues with the Spektrum telemetry signal when using the WR.  This may be due to the fact that the WR does not use a ferrite ring, but many will point out that a ferrite ring is not needed when running 2.4 GHz signals.  Still, the WR output wires are too stiff to easily add a ferrite ring.

I was also concerned that the WR was only rated to 10A cont/15A max, and the BEC Pro is rated to 20A peak.  On 6S, the BEC pro is rated to 13A max continuous.

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »
Is it ok to put the receiver in the rear though?  That was my plan.

It will be fine.

Rich
Synergy E5: Scorpion HKIII 4025-1100, CC ICE2 120HV, Rail 556/96, V-Bar Silverline

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
Re: I prefer the BEC Pro over the WR Super BEC
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:06 PM »
I previously used a WR Hercules Super BEC http://www.western-robotics.com/hercules-super-BEC_hp.html.  The older version has 5.2V/6V/8.4/9.0V.  The voltage options of the newer version may be better for voltages used with helicopters, 5.2V/6V/7.4V/8.2V.

The WR Hercules Super BEC seems more robust than the BEC Pro.  The WR is rated for up to 14S, where the BEC Pro has had reported issues when on 12S.

However, I had issues with the Spektrum telemetry signal when using the WR.  This may be due to the fact that the WR does not use a ferrite ring, but many will point out that a ferrite ring is not needed when running 2.4 GHz signals.  Still, the WR output wires are too stiff to easily add a ferrite ring.

I was also concerned that the WR was only rated to 10A cont/15A max, and the BEC Pro is rated to 20A peak.  On 6S, the BEC pro is rated to 13A max continuous.

Another good reason to keep switching power regulators (BEC / ESC) away from your radio receivers / equipment.

Rich 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:43:29 PM by RichL »

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Does that mean that "switching" power supplies may cause these glitches when in close proximity, but "linear" power supplies do not?  Still don't understand the difference between "linear" vs "switching" other than switching is more expensive.

Also, would a ferrite ring on the WR BEC improve these glitches?

Offline NKY Heli Guy

Hercules Super BEC
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

Seriously? Math and Ohms Law proves there is almost no difference seen at the plug ends.  Electrically, there is no reason that the BEC can't be mounted on the front.   The designer of the E5 has his on the front! Reinvent the wheel if you must but, mine rolls fine.

See post number 10:  http://synergyrchelicopters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1236.0

Rich
Support at WR stated that the Super Hercules will put out 10 amps... if there is a "mechanical joint" aka servo extension it could put out less than 10 amps which would be bad for the receiver (not sure why though). I'd love to have it up front but the wires won't reach with this BEC without extending the output wires. Not sure what to do... he did say that they are coming out with a new BEC that will have longer wires.. does not help me though.

Offline NKY Heli Guy

Hercules Super BEC
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:44:12 PM »
He did not say the BEC could not be mounted in the front it just won't reach the back. I specifically asked him if mounted in the back could it interfere with receiver and he said they run at different frequencies... none of this makes sense to me... should have studied this in school :)

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
I did study it in school, for four years.  If you don't feel comfortable with it in the front then put it on the back but, understand that the Castle has to overcome the same mechanical connection as the Western Robotics.  If the person you spoke too told you didn't have to worry about radio interference because the BEC and Radio are on different frequencies then he doesn't understand much about electronics as they relate to radio frequencies.  I'm not saying that the WR will cause interference but, the possibility exists that it could the same as any other BEC.  Let me put this another way, if you were using the Castle BEC Pro would you put the extension on it and run it to the front?  If the answer is yes then you should run the WR the same way.  The Western Robotics electrons are subject to the same physics as the Castle Creations. If you don't want a mechanical connection cut the ends off the extension and the BEC soldier them together. This stuff isn't magic!   

Rich   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:07:12 PM by RichL »

Offline NKY Heli Guy

Hercules Super BEC
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
Yeah, my real confusion was with the connection not necessarily with the interference. It appears interference can come from a variety of things and if it were placed in back I'm sure I could keep it far enough away from the receiver. Trust me I would love to use the servo extensions instead of having to solder more.

So just to clarify, have you used servo extensions on BEC with success?

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »
Yeah, my real confusion was with the connection not necessarily with the interference. It appears interference can come from a variety of things and if it were placed in back I'm sure I could keep it far enough away from the receiver. Trust me I would love to use the servo extensions instead of having to solder more.

So just to clarify, have you used servo extensions on BEC with success?

Yes.  Use a heavy duty extension and only as long as required.  If your BEC has dual outputs you should run them both to the receiver / FBL unit this will give the current dual paths.  If you want to work this out for yourself get a HD extension measure the resistance of the extension with a ohm (multi) meter.  Then use this formula (R x I = V) to figure out what the voltage drop will be across the extension.  R = resistance that you measured with the ohm meter, I is the maximum current that can be output from your BEC, The V will be the voltage drop across the extension.  If you are really worried about it just replace it with the Castle, the connections are long enough to reach without modification.  What I really want to know is where are all those guys are that talked you into the WR.  Don't see them here helping you out now that you have questions.   ;D  Seriously, I'm happy that you are questioning things that you don't understand, that is how we learn after all.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:08:05 AM by RichL »