May 19, 2024, 10:18:33 PM

Author Topic: Throttle hold settings  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
Throttle hold settings
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
I have not touched the throttle hold settings in my DX7s.  I thought I would give an auto a try, but wanted to make sure all was well first.  I was maybe half a foot off the ground and hit throttle hold.  It landed pretty hard, luckily just a few inches off the ground.  Obviously there is too much negative pitch.  Should I have an actual pitch curve in throttle hold?  I haven't done that before, nor have I had a heli to try autos with. 
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

flyalan

Throttle hold settings
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
I run a straight pitch curve in all modes. Some folks do set a different one for hold. Limiting the negative to 3-4 degrees. A matter of taste I guess.
I prefer pitch to feel the same in all modes.

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Throttle hold settings
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
I also run 0-25-50-75-100 linear pitch curves in all flight modes to include TH, mainly to avoid sudden "jumps" when switching flight modes.

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Throttle hold settings
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »
I run linear pitch curves as well in all modes to make myself practice collective management for an auto.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
Same linear 0 -50 - 100 on all my pitch curves. You just need to get used to it.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
Yeah I have the linear curve, but if I do an auto do I need to make sure I'm at about mid-stick before doing so then?  I would prefer to practice them low to the ground but don't want to hit TH and then drop like a brick.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

flyalan

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »
if you were hovering just a few feet above the ground, hit hold and didn't move the collective you shouldn't loose altitude too quickly. As head speed decays you will of course loose altitude. 

Doing baby autos from about 3-5 feet up is the way to start.  Stabilize your hover.  Hit hold.  Gently start feeding in more collective and settle to the ground.  Takes practice.  At higher altitudes some negative collective is a must to maintain headspeed.

Check out the smacktalkrc videos.  I found the one on autos quite helpful.

Cheers
Alan

Offline okanor

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQKj_f_dCw&feature=youtube_gdata_player is the one I found most useful. I have spent a lot of time at the field helping people get over their fear of autos. I suggest mid stick 6 inches off the ground and hitting throttle hold, or even that last inch before setting down to get a feel for how the model is going to react. Mid stick is key to start, it seems very common that people want to feed in positive pitch as soon as they hit hold. At 5 foot this can end badly. Mid stick is the key to start. Good luck and I'm sure once you get the hang of it you will enjoy auto's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Low and Slow