May 19, 2024, 05:49:00 PM

Author Topic: Gear Lash  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Gear Lash
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
I know how I have always set my gear lash in the past, but I would like you guys to tell  me how each of yall do it please. I always get the motor pushed all the way up to the main gear where there is no mesh at all, and run a piece of paper between the main gear and the pinion, sometimes I have to fold it in half so its twice as thick, sometimes I don't. this is how I have been doing it.

I am having issues with the gear lash on my E5 though. I swear I can set it just fine, and the next day it will be too tight again....driving me nuts. I noticed yesterday that it was too tight. I stopped flying, went home, and re-set the lash properly and went to bed. this morning, I swear that thing has tightened back up...now I understand that the environment warming up can cause the lash to tighten up a bit, but this heli was in my workshop at 70F all night....I even made the lash MUCH more than it should have been last night by running paper folded 3 times through it, now there is no lash at all....when I first built it, the mesh was perfect too, and it somehow tightened up resulting in what I found yesterday when I went to fly that prompted me to stop, go home, and re-set the mesh.

I have never had a heli that did this, so am I missing something?
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

flyalan

Re: Gear Lash
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
What you found yesterday was a result of the heli sitting in a hot vehicle. We discussed that yesterday. As to why the lash changed overnight?? I thought you weren't going to use the damaged gear?
You can check your bearings on both the main shaft and the lower motor block.  Be sure those aren't worn.  Other than that and temp changes the mesh should not fluctuate.  I always let the heli reach ambient temp before flying after removing from a hot vehicle.

Cheers
Alan

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline Mark Burberry

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
Agree with Alan. Extreme temperatures can certainly effect it. How long did the helicopter sit in the vehicle baking in the sun?

Personally I have never had an issue with gear mesh once it has been set correctly and tightened down. As for my method, I set my mesh by feel. Making sure to turn the gear and take any high spot into account.

There are many methods however and you certainly can use the paper method if that works better for you. Once you have the gear mesh correct, tighten the bolts down in a cross pattern and re-check your mesh.

Cheers,
Mark
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:32:16 PM by MJBurberry »

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
What you found yesterday was a result of the heli sitting in a hot vehicle. We discussed that yesterday. As to why the lash changed overnight?? I thought you weren't going to use the damaged gear?
You can check your bearings on both the main shaft and the lower motor block.  Be sure those aren't worn.  Other than that and temp changes the mesh should not fluctuate.  I always let the heli reach ambient temp before flying after removing from a hot vehicle.

Cheers
Alan

Cheers
Alan

I am buying a new main gear, but in the mean time, I am going to fly this one (its really not that bad). the pictures look much worse than in real life, I think the flash on the camera made it look that bad.

the gear did swell bc of being in the back of the car the first time. that was before we talked.

I reset the gear lash after we got off of the phone last night. it was actually a tad too much at that point. now I grab it this morning, and there is no lash at all period..... I never moved the heli. its like as the locktight on the motor mount bolts drys the dang motor moves or something. my e7's have never done anything like this. its strange. when I tighten a bolt, it should stay there....lol...in this case, its not.

I did check my bearings, they are all silky smooth and no play...

Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
Agree with Alan. Extreme temperatures can certainly effect it. How long did the helicopter sit in the vehicle baking in the sun?

Personally I have never had an issue with gear mesh once it has been set correctly and tightened down. As for my method, I set my mesh by feel. Making sure to turn the gear and take any high spot into account.

There are many methods however and you certainly can use the paper method if that works better for you. Once you have the gear mesh correct, tighten the bolts down in a cross pattern and re-check your mesh.

Cheers,
Mark

it sat out there all day. its not really in the trunk, its in the back of a bmw x5 under the cover that you can pull over your cargo. I leave the windows cracked, but it still gets very very toasty in there.

yea, I have never had an issue either. I have set lash multiple times now with these synergy helical gears and never had an issue at all. I don't know, I guess I am losing my mind man....

the reason I like the paper method instead of doing it only with my hands is bc I worry I will get either the motor mount, or the pinion support mount either too far forward or back causing the pinion to lean slightly. so I just let the paper push the entire assembly at one time, then tighten down. I start with snugging the middle both on the motor mount on both sides, then the back bolt on the pinion support, then I go in an x with the remaining 4 motor mount bolts, then the front two on the pinion support. then I tighten all the way in the same exact sequence. I assumed I was doing it as evenly as I could.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
I am obviously screwing something up guys. the fact that both of my e7's are ok and have been and stayed ok means that I am doing something wrong with the e5. they are no different, and should act the same way. maybe my use of the paper is actually causing the issue that I was trying to prevent by using it (getting the pinion at an angle). I honestly don't know. but I will look into it more when I get the new main gear. until then, I guess she is grounded. dang, after only 4 days of flying. that's a record for even me! haha
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
I quit using the paper method because I ended up with one that was way too loose after it had seemed fine and I stripped a main gear.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
that sucks. and see, I am having the exact opposite issue....

its 2:30 here now, I will go get my heli in a few min and let it sit inside in the AC before trying to fly at 5 again. the main gear is ok for a while, I'm telling ya, the pictures I sent Alan made it look much much worse than it does with your eyes. it even shocked me when I saw the picture I had just taken compared to what I was looking at in real life in front of me!
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:34:13 PM »
Did you get this sorted out yet? Is it possible that the damaged gear is the culprit?
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »
Been out of town. When I got in last night, I checked the lash and it was perfect. Well see what's up. Probably me being a dummy somehow. I have set lash several times just fine, I don't see how its possible one could change so drastically after being set. The heat explains it in the car, but in the shop, that's a mystery.

I'm waiting on a new pinion too....maybe the old pinion causing some issues....
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
ok, so replaced the main gear and pinion. I put 6 flights in today with it and it seems perfectly fine now.

I think my mysterious issue may have been the pinion itself. I was running the 14T (non-hard coat), and when I let everything get hot in the car the pinion coat was damaged. so parts of the pinion looked like the paint was pushed up, or built up, and other parts were like bare metal. I guess when the teeth that were bare metal were in contact with the gear it felt ok, and the other teeth were tight.....I guess...

it flys great now. I did lose some HS going with the 13T pinion, but surprisingly enough, I like it better! it tick tocs better at 2350 than it did at 2450....rainbows seem easier to handle too. I guess I had it turned up a tad too high.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

flyalan

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
:-)

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out. I have flown the E5 at 2400 and 2450 but for some reason I really like the feel when the headspeed is below, like 2350.  It is also fun at 2250.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »
I may set up a lower HS to see how it feels. I really love this bird. talk about strong.....I put this one on its right side once this weekend in a botched auto, and no damage at all.....the freaking links were even ok! very very strong heli!
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline dpelletier

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »
From what I've seen if you want to use lower headspeeds with Castle ESCs make sure you use the proper pinion so that the ESC is running at at least 90%, other wise it gets really hot.
Castle ESCs need to run nearer their top end.
Dany -  Not on any Team  :( maybe some day :)
Synergy E5 CGY-750 (my favorite heli)
Furion 6 Flybarless, Skookum 720
Beam E4(v1) FBL, Skookum 540
Futaba 14sg

Inching my way out of being a newbie...