May 19, 2024, 07:08:41 PM

Author Topic: e5 recommendations for old timer heli pilot...  (Read 4309 times)

Offline sfm

e5 recommendations for old timer heli pilot...
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »
So I am returning to the world of RC helis after a long absence (25+ years basically... have flown planes in some capacity since the early eighties continuously however)... Recently started looking for a 500-600 size electric heli and pretty much decided that the Synergy e5 meets most if not all of my requirements after looking at all the options out there (those "DFC" type FBL heads scare me). Pretty much like everything I see about the e5 design/construction.

Some context... I last flew a GMP Competitor and Cobra heli (nitro) in the early to late eighties... circuits, nose in, the occasional loop and roll, etc. Nothing fancy. No inverted (this was back in the day when the TX had an inverted switch). FYI, I also owned the worlds first production electric heli (Skylark EH-1... google if you want some laughs)... that was an experience.

As I work my way back into heli flying shape I am looking for suggestions for 550/6s configuration that will provide longish flight times (say 7-8 minutes) with a lower head speed (1200 - 1800). Obviously I'm looking for nothing to frenetic... My initial goal is a heli that will handle circuits plus the odd loop/roll/stall turn thrown in... nothing fancy like the 3D I see quite a few of you are doing these days (yikes!).

Given that, I'm hoping to use 6s (4000-4400 MAH) battery pack so wondering if there is a motor/kV/pinion recommendation that will fit the bill for my desired flight time/head speed goals (or are these hopes unreasonable for a 6s configuration)?

I figure with the e5 should I eventually get bored with my anticipated flying style the e5 appears to be easily kicked up (stretched and/or 12s and/or motor change) to up the head speed, etc. but I think that need will be far down the road.

Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated...

Thanks!

Offline Jeff_Barrett

• The "Canadian"
    • Synergy RC Express
Re: e5 recommendations for old timer heli pilot...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »
I would try one of the recommended motors in the manual... you're good with the pack sizes you mentioned. :)

4025-1100 with the 12T pinion should get you closer to where you want to be, although I'd run it closer to 1900 IMHO ...

Mr.Mel's Headspeed Calculator can help you figure everything out a little closer as well: http://heli.dacsa.net/calcv3/

Play around the with the motor voltages, but the 4025 or 4030 sized motors are what I'd look at.
Jeff Barrett - Synergy RC Express
Team Synergy / Bavarian Demon / MKS Servo

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
sfm, I just put together a E5 with 4025-1100 scorpion motor, on 6s and am so pleased, like you I was out of the hobby for sometime. But wow have things changed, But the synergy is one great kit, and last weekend took mine out to the field and it was a blast. And  the guys here are great with any help you need. believe me they know this ship. I am getting over 5 minutes with 25-30% left in the packs so I know I could go longer but packs are new and I didn't want to push them to hard. E-5 is super smooth and loops and rolls great you have plenty of power with one 6s. Remember all that blade balancing , don't  have too with the rail blades. Takes a few bucks to get her in the air, but its worth every penny. 
Cliff

Offline ds1rc

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »
I have 2 E5s. I run iKON FBL gyros governor mode on both. The ESC on both is a HobbyWing Platinum-100A-V3. For motors I'm running a KDE 600XF-1100 in one and a Hobby King NTM 600-1220KV in the other and they perform equally well. I do soft 2.5D, loops, flips, lazy flips rolls, that kind of stuff. Head speed is 1800 in normal and idle up 1, 2000 in idle up 2. I hardly ever go idle up 2. I limit my flight times to 5 minutes and I have plenty of battery with a 6 cell 35C 4000 mHa. Ending cell voltage right at 3.8 + per cell. I have tested both motors with maximum pitch pumps and the maximum current draw is 86 amps using an Eagle Tree data recorder well within the limits of the ESC and battery. My flying goal is to make all the maneuvers’ smooth and precise. I'm 84, been flying Helis for about a year and a half and these E5s are a blast. With the E5 there are lots of ways to go and any of them will be good.

Don S.
Don S.

Offline Richard Rollins

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
Same here , E5 with the 6s setup Scorpion 4025-1100kv Castle Ice 120 hv. I like my head speeds a little faster than 1800 I run 2000 id1 - 2300 id 3. get roughly 5 min flight time.
Rick
Rick
Team Synergy Team Rails, Team Scorpion

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:16:12 AM »
on my E5 with 556mm blades, i run the following:
 KDE Direct - 600xf G3 1100kv
Castle Creations 120HV
Thunder Power 70C 6S packs

i fly at 2250, and 2350HS with the 13T pinion. i am considering bumping back up to the 14T and getting the HS up a little more.

its a wonderful flying helicopter. but i wouldn't try to fly it under 2000HS, that sounds very low for a 550 size. if it had 606s on it, i would say yes, but with the 556, IMO it wouldn't be enough.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline sfm

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:22:08 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions/information... it is appreciated... keep in mind I am nowhere close to being the "stick bangers" you guys are so I'm thinking to start out I simply don't need the cyclic/pitch rates that the higher head speed offers... not to mention I am looking for longer flight times as I get back into the groove (heck... it would take 3-4 minutes for me to relearn what I forgot the last flight ;D ).

I think I will start with a ~1100 kV motor with the 12 tooth pinion and see how low I can go (1700 - 1900... lower?) before the ESC or heli (wobble, vibrations, etc) complain. I will certainly order the 4.5 speed up gears or larger tail blades as well should tail authority start to become an issue.

Offline okanor

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »
I own 3 E5's
E5 - 556 blades 2450 head speed (4.5 minutes of sport 3d)
E5 - 606 blades 2025 head speed (5.5 minute flights of sport 3d)
E5 - 696 blades 1250 head speed (10.5 minutes flights of sport 3d)

I love the low head speed stuff, I just turned over 110 flights this weekend on my 696 bird, these are 10 minute flights too. I tried running my E5 @ 2100/2200 head speed but found it to be a little heavy feeling. I understand your looking for basic flight mostly but I am not sure your really getting to enjoy the E5 @ 1900 or less. It will do it for sure but I think your loosing to much feeling. I run my 606 E5 @ 1800 and that does well and I get over 6 minutes on a 5000ma pack. The cost is minimal to stretch your E5 to run 606 blades and It sounds to me like you would enjoy it more. If you do go the lower head speed route I suggest you also swap out the tail gears for a higher ratio to improve tail response/feel.
This post has the 4.5-1 ratio http://synergyrchelicopters.com/forum/index.php?topic=3010.0
I could ramble on with my opinions on head speed all night. If you have more questions feel free to hit me up.
Low and Slow

Offline ds1rc

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
Excellent okanor,

Here is a link to a short video of a flying buddy, E5 6cell @ 1750.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDfu34bHA4g&list=UUNeCUT5BDpPWooRa5q_sN-A
Don S.

Offline sfm

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »
Excellent okanor,

Here is a link to a short video of a flying buddy, E5 6cell @ 1750.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDfu34bHA4g&list=UUNeCUT5BDpPWooRa5q_sN-A

That looks like the ticket... any clue as to the setup on that e5 (true 550 setup or stretched, motor, pinion)?

Offline ds1rc

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »
"That looks like the ticket... any clue as to the setup on that e5 (true 550 setup or stretched, motor, pinion)?"

His E5 is stock out of the box. He runs Rail R-556 mains, Rail R-096 tail, the tail gear ratio 4.0 to 1 (52T & 12T)' a  KDE 600XF 1100KV motor, CC Talon 90 ESC. His FBL Controller is the AR7200BX using the Talon Governor. He has used this system for more than a year and every time we are at one of our fields he is flying it. I prefer the HobbyWing Platinum-100A-V3 ESC because it has a built in phase sensor for the iKON FBL Controller Governor. This will also handle 2000 RPM head speed which is his idle up 2 setting. If you intend to go harder than the soft easy sport type flying this setup at 1800 head speed will draw 86 amps from a hover to a hard full collective pitch pump. You will need a higher amp ESC if you fly more aggressively. I think that move puts the most stain and current draw on the Helli.
Don S.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »
Also check out 5000mah packs since you are looking for longer flight times.  They fit easily and really don't weigh the helicopter down too much for the style of flight you are doing.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com