May 05, 2024, 08:35:47 AM

Author Topic: OS 55 hzr needle settings (yes I've read every other thread lol)  (Read 2366 times)

Offline bgymr

OS 55 hzr needle settings (yes I've read every other thread lol)
« on: December 08, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »
Hey guys, don't really know where else to ask this question, but my hzr runs great.  However, my needle settings are something like 4 out on the high and 3 on the mid. 

My question is, how does this happen?  I can adjust my carb by half a turn of either needle, and little difference.  Most of the difference is noticed while it's spooling up, once it reaches operating range, it does great. 

The reason I'm asking the question is that I am using locally sourced fuel.  It's called S&W fuels.  The guy lives 15mins from my house and a gallon is $20.  He use to only use 17% oil and I asked him to put 21% in mine, then I add a little Klotz to get to 23%.  I like the smell of klotz.  Right now I can't get my hands on some RR or Cool power to test out if it's the fuel, but this could be a reason for my needle settings a bit.   But not double rich from manual could it? 

Manual settins are 2h 1m from shut.
I'm using a #8
Never messed with the shims
Cleaned my regulator two gallons ago.  when I rebuilt the motor.  But it was acting like this before as well
Pipe is a hyperage 56
Fuel is 30%

Any thoughts?  I'm sucking down the tank in 6 minutes which seems like what the rest of you are doing that have simlar flying styles at 2150rpm Vbar gov.

Offline Dan Minick

• Field Representative
  • Team FBL Rotors---Formerly Dyecocker1
Re: OS 55 hzr needle settings (yes I've read every other thread lol)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 05:46:40 PM »
have you ever torn the carb down?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:05:18 PM by Dan Minick »
Dan Minick

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
There is a lot of info here. First if you have the chance to try another fuel do it.

Look at you rear bearing. The local fuel could be causing you beating to go out faster than normal.

Third can you try a different pipe. The hyper rage 56 is not the pipe for that motor. See if you can borrow one to try from a buddy at the field. Try a b320 or a hatori for a 55.

Your needle settings are high. Did you start there or did they get tuned because of the bearing going bad?
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline bgymr

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »
The most I have torn the carb down is to take both needle housing out by unscrewing them from the carb, and then unscrewing the screws.  Also cleaned the regulator.

The rear bearing looks new since I installed it on Sunday and have put two gallons through her already.  I will try a different pipe this weekend. 

I started and broke the motor in at about 3turns out on high, 2 on low.  Which are each a turn out more than the manual calls for. 

I just put 3 flights on her, and you can tell it runs rich.  I don't mind since it makes the power I need, still flying for 6 minutes pretty hard but not much big air. 

Offline Dan Minick

• Field Representative
  • Team FBL Rotors---Formerly Dyecocker1
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »
I seems like there might be something, somehow restricting fuel. Wether its in the carb or reg is hard to know. But its funny that it runs right and is consistant just a little "off" of normal
Dan Minick

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Sounds like you need to start leaning it out now. Try 2-1/2 turns then 2 if that works. You don't need to run it rich to break in a new bearing.

How old is the fur tubing.
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep