May 11, 2024, 11:34:21 AM

Author Topic: N5c Build!  (Read 24411 times)

flyalan

N5c Build!
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
What kind of gyro hiccup?

Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy

Offline Chris "CSpaced" Mulcahy

• Lower!
    • AMA
Re: N5c Build!
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »
We're thinking it may have been a mounting issue that caused an unexpected tip over on the ground. Very minor damage, Bob will be back in the air by the weekend.
Chris Mulcahy
Team Futaba, Team Castle Creations, Team KDE Direct
Synergy N5c, Synergy E7SE, Synergy E5S

Offline Bob Heybrock

• Field Representative
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48:50 AM »
Thanks Chris for posting the pics...and not all of them! :-[ Anyway, yeah had a slight mishap as mentioned above but I'm not discouraged (one doesn't stay in this hobby long if that comes easily.)

Saturday we learned that the thin foam was needed to mount the gyro, which made it a very short day but Sunday was much more productive. As I leaned the engine out the heli developed a drift to the left that worsened even more following the next few clicks leaner on the engine. We richened it back up and the problem seemed to go away and that is when I was attempting to lift off and it tipped over to the left. Fortunately the ground was soft and the main blades survived with only a few scuffs, the tail boom snapped and the 25mm boom support screws were slightly bent, one servo arm broke and the pitch & swash plate links were damaged. Mainshaft & head axle unharmed, pretty minor I'd say!

I learned one thing real quick however, FBL likes to FLY not sit on the ground and I thought I had that pretty well under control but maybe not completely. In addition I am going to remount the gyro slightly rearwards at the top rear corner of the cyclic servo tray instead of being somewhat centered over the rear two servos. I think some flex in the tray may have been allowing the gyro to move in relation to the side-frames and with seeing the difference the thin foam made it makes sense that more rigid mounting will cure it.

Danny with HeliCommand was very helpfull both days and he is sending me a new gyro just to be sure there is not a problem with it, which I feel is above & beyond in service, thanks to Danny on that!

I ordered my link rods yesterday, had an extra boom (from my initial order) and just completed replacing it so it is not looking so sad any more, soon I will be ready to get back out to the field, pray for nice weather! ;D
Bob Heybrock, Team Synergy
N5c: OS.55HZ, CGY 750. E7: KDE 700XF, CGY750. E5: KDE 600XF, Spartan Vortex. Radio: Futaba 14SG

flyalan

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
Yea.  Danny told me to throw out the stock pads and use the 3M type.  Works great!  Guess I was fortunate enough to have Danny there at Heli Extravaganza where I did that part of the build.  I was just about to use the stock tape when he intervened.
I also mounted the Gyro back closer to the main shaft.  I wanted more clearance for the wires.  They were rubbing on the canopy in the forward position.

Danny is a class act and I'm glad he was able to help.

Cheers,
Alan

• Lower!
    • AMA
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
I'm just about ready for maiden. Just have to switch out the choo choo wheels for something a little shorter.
Chris Mulcahy

Offline Bob Heybrock

• Field Representative
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »
Chris, those are some beautiful shots! I especially like the blurred outer frame focus of the canopy!

Alan, I was trying to keep the gyro away from the starter shaft for fear of it getting hit occasionally, guess that didn't work out to well for me. Glad to hear that you bypassed some of my learning curve. I really think things are going to be worked out by this weekend! :)
N5c: OS.55HZ, CGY 750. E7: KDE 700XF, CGY750. E5: KDE 600XF, Spartan Vortex. Radio: Futaba 14SG

flyalan

N5c Build!
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 09:03:27 PM »
Man Chris is really good with the camera isn't he! Awesome shots.
Yes Bob I was fortunate to have Danny at my door to help.  Let us know how it goes this weekend.

Cheers
Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy

• Lower!
    • AMA
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
Thanks Alan, I can't tell you how excited I am to get out there and fly it! If I don't get a chance before, it looks like maiden day will be Sunday.
Chris Mulcahy

• Lower!
    • AMA
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 07:33:37 PM »
Maidened the N5c tonight! Didn't have a lot of time so I only got two quick flights, but it was awesome! It's a very smooth heli, and I'm looking forward to getting some more air time on it this weekend!
Chris Mulcahy

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »
Those are some more great pictures!
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Bob Heybrock

• Field Representative
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 06:05:15 AM »
Sweet, I really like the large "Botos Design" logo on the canopy! Can't wait for Sunday!

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
N5c Build!
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »
Absolutely awesome. I also like the logo on the front. Congrats on the maiden.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

• Lower!
    • AMA
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »
Had a blast with the N5c today, and Bob got some video too!

Synergy N5c
Chris Mulcahy

flyalan

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
Awesome flight Chris!  Very nice video work also.

Looks like it must be pretty much dialed in?

Cheers
Alan

• Lower!
    • AMA
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »
Thanks Alan!

Yeah it's about 90% there, couple of little tweaks and it should be right where I want it  8)
Chris Mulcahy