General > Main Helicopter Discussion

I should probably be wearing a helmet

(1/5) > >>

Rodney Kirstine:
I went to fly my E7 at lunch today.  First battery pack was sweeeeeeeet.  I swap out the battery pack, plug the ESC in, and install the canopy.  As I'm installing the canopy I notice that one of the servo wires is about to come out of the receiver.  I start trying to get it plugged back in correctly and I end up unplugging the throttle connector and plugging it right back in.  So... the ESC decides that it's time to rock and roll.  Throttle hold is already on and it's not doing anything.  I bulldog the helicopter and hang onto it for dear life so I don't get chopped up.  I'm trying desperately with one hand to get the canopy off (RC Booya mounts on all four posts) and I'm not having much luck.  Luckily, the ESC decided to just go ahead and go up in flames, saving me the trouble of needing to unplug it, at that point.  I put the helicopter on the ground and get the fire put out.  It looks like the only real damage is the ESC but I'm not sure yet.

I have shoe goo on my other helicopters to make sure the servo connectors all stay in place but, for some reason, I hadn't done that on the E7 yet.  My own dang fault but I really hope that at some point I will quit giving myself all of these expensive lessons.

Rodney

Chris Sexton:
Wow!  First off, are you hurt? I have never seen anyone able to hang on while a heli tried to spool up.

Sucks about the esc. I have had one spin up I unexpectedly and it sucks!!

I hope everything else is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steffgiguere:
I hope you are OK....wow want a battle holding on to an electric heli while it's spooling up. You are right getting the batteries unplugged while battling a heli is impossible, some electrical engineer will have to find something for this.

Brandon Bartolomucci:
Wow that is something else. At least you're here to tell the tale to the rest of us.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone

Rodney Kirstine:
Thanks guys, yeah, I'm okay.  The FETs got so hot on the ESC that it de-soldered all three motor phase wires from the PCB.  I think I probably ripped my canopy up some more, too.  It's still out in the trunk of my car and I'm not really wanting to go look at it yet since I'm already bummed about frying the ESC.  I just hope the SK540 survived.  I do have a CC 120A I will probably hook up to check everything out once I get all the soot cleaned off of the front of the frame and the motor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version