May 14, 2024, 06:48:22 AM

Author Topic: How to break in OS .50 SX-H  (Read 3734 times)

Offline jayster10

How to break in OS .50 SX-H
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:42:40 AM »
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to correctly break in and tune a new OS .50SXH. I'm relatively new to Nitro and need some help getting my new N5C up and running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Offline Richard Rollins

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: How to break in OS .50 SX-H
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
First make sure you run 30% heli fuel. Secondly I recommend if it is a new motor , read the break in procedure in the manual which gives you the beginning needle setting. I run a few tanks through very rich ,, IE the recommended starting point for that particular engine. Fly it in hover get it hot set it down let it cool ,, Fly it again ,, fly it around get it hot and let it cool. After a few tanks you can start to lean it out, very little at a time. There are a lot of post s on RR and HF about breaking in that particular motor.

Hope that helps ,
Rick
Rick
Team Synergy Team Rails, Team Scorpion

Offline jayster10

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
Rick,

Thanks for the info. I have read so many different suggestions and figured you guys would know. My next real question is, again read a lot of suggestions, how would you recommend determining when an engine is running to lean or rich? I have heard of the pinch test, do you use this?

Also, I just ordered the NC5/TT, awaiting delivery, what parts do I need to install an RPM sensor. I also have ordered the IKON, which I believe has a governor function. Please excuse my ignorance with this stuff, but is it the governor that is attached or part of the IKON that takes readings from the RPM sensor to maintain an RPM? If that is the case, what RPM would you recommend I use for a new non-3D flyer.

Thanks again for any help.

Jay

Offline bgymr

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:26 PM »
My number one suggestion for you is to post where you usually fly to see if someone can meet you that is experience at tuning.  It's not hard, but it's also not hard to fry your first engine. 

If you want to try alone, I would suggest to follow the suggested settings for the motor.  You can just google your motor and the manual will come up.  I would say that 80% of motors will run and fly on the needle settings given in the manual.  I would fly it at those settings if it flies and doesnt cut out for a gallon until you develop an ear for it.  Once you start flying it you will be able to answer our questions better, and tell us more about the symptoms. 

Offline jayster10

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Offline Richard Rollins

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:11:20 PM »
Not a problem , but first give me a list of your setup. Servos , tx. Etc
Rick

Offline jayster10

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:34 AM »
Rick,

I am running the following:
NC5 Nitro/TT
AT9 Transmitter
RD9 Receiver
1 x S148 Futaba servos (tail)
4 x S3003 Futaba servos (pitch/roll/elev/throttle)
IKON FBL
600mm mains
95mm tail
OS .50 SX-H Nitro engine

Offline jayster10

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 11:39:22 AM »
Rick,

Also wanted to know if Rail R-96 and Rail R606 blades would work with my NC5 and OS .50 SX-H. I'm not a 3D flyer yet so just for basic flying around and learning how to fly. NC5 info says 85-95MM tail and just wanted your opinion, or should I run a smaller mm tail blades.

thanks,

jay

Offline Richard Rollins

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »
Yes rail 606/96 would be perfect , I would like to suggest you might want to get some newer digital servos.
I am not familiar with your TX /RX !
Rick

Offline kosmasp

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 05:01:51 AM »
Hi jayster10,

I strongly recomend to change the tail and cycle servo before fly this bird!
Maybe consider also buy a better radio transmiter/receiver too (even second hand)

As for the breaking in proccedure below is a link with the manual, at page 20 u find the breaking in/running in proccedure u should follow in order to complete your task

http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/50sx-h-hyper-manual.pdf

Have nice flights

Offline jayster10

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
Kosmasp,

I'm not a 3D flyer, at least no time in the near future. Just getting back into RC flying. Do you have a recommendation for a tail servo. One that will do the job, but wont brake the bank. Will have to wait on the radio. The purchase of the new aircraft, engine, etc has put large purchases on hold for a bit.

Jay

Offline Richard Rollins

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »
Initial breakin does not require 3D . Also I use BK servos , Futaba servos
Rick

Offline kosmasp

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 08:34:29 AM »
hi again jayster10,

A nice tail servo in my opinion and in reasonable price is a futaba s9254.
I own the combo (Futaba s9254 & Futaba GY401) and i am very happy with this, not very accurate when fly backwards but overall you cant go wrong with this one.

;)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:42:07 AM by kosmasp »

Offline peteowlsmith

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »
Hi Jay,

I used the S9254 Futaba as well.       8)

Just a caution -- not sure how you are powering the electronics.   Futaba tail servos typically only "like" 4.8 VDC.    Be sure to either get one that works with the battery you have in mind, or use a Regulator  (like the PS-01RS).   

Also - the throttle servo is a mini  (not standard size).......

Pete
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:51:29 AM by peteowlsmith »

Offline jayster10

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »
Kidnaps,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to look into that. I have already bought the Ikon FBL unit, so hoping they will work well together.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk