May 03, 2024, 02:14:46 PM

Author Topic: Canopy fit  (Read 1380 times)

Offline woodscra

Canopy fit
« on: December 29, 2019, 06:49:40 AM »
I am likely missing something.  Attempted to install canopy today and the holes seem to be too far forward.  The bottom of the canopy hits either the skids or the front of the side frames.  Regardless of the angle or height that I tried, it was a no go.

I have the HW 120A on the front angle carbon piece and have a 4500mah installed on battery tray.  tried both the 3rd and 4th hole on batt tray from the front.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Wolf51

Re: Canopy fit
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 02:15:10 PM »
I am likely missing something.  Attempted to install canopy today and the holes seem to be too far forward.  The bottom of the canopy hits either the skids or the front of the side frames.  Regardless of the angle or height that I tried, it was a no go.

I have the HW 120A on the front angle carbon piece and have a 4500mah installed on battery tray.  tried both the 3rd and 4th hole on batt tray from the front.

Thanks for sharing.
Theres not a lot of free space inside the nose of the 516 canopy with a lipo mounted. But there shouldn't be any problems for 4400-5000mah packs mounted with battery tray locked in 3rd hole.

From experience, battery leads pushing forward or lipo too far forward on the tray can interfere with the canopy fit.
I can only suggest checking lipo is mounted as far back on tray as possible and leads/connectors are not interfering with fitup.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:36:57 PM »
My canopy won't fit unless the battery is in the rear 3 holes.

Correction below.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:14:27 PM by M.Schmavs »

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »
For reference, pics of my 516 with 4400 6s 65c gensace mounted and locked in 2nd hole from the front. The leads only rest on inside of the canopy, but the battery doesn't touch.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »
I misspoke. Mine won't fit unless it's in the 3rd from the front and on back. The front two holes are not an option for me.

Offline woodscra

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 04:21:58 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I will play with it today.

I read from another post about reaming the front canopy holes to 9mm.  Do you all do that and how does that help? 

@wolf: The pic shows you with the grommet on the floor.  Do you fly without the grommet installed?

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 05:04:05 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I will play with it today.

I read from another post about reaming the front canopy holes to 9mm.  Do you all do that and how does that help? 

@wolf: The pic shows you with the grommet on the floor.  Do you fly without the grommet installed?

The grommets are usually installed, I must've pushed that one out while messing with the canopy. Good pickup

The referred to reaming of canopy holes to 9mm was probably my post as well. If so, I need to edit that as they're actually reamed to 8.5mm!
EDIT: It was a post by Rodney Kirstine that mentions reaming canopy holes to 9mm.

I found that with std size canopy holes the white grommets get cut up easily when fitting them over the posts. Also that the keychain retainers are a tight squeeze into the grommet. Reaming the holes only increased dia by about 0.5mm but cleaned up the edge of the holes and made it easier on the grommets in both situations. Its a personal preference thing, if you find you're cutting up grommets frequently it may be worthwhile considering the mod.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:22:45 PM by Wolf51 »