May 05, 2024, 09:52:58 AM

Author Topic: Number of shims on each side of tail rotor and future tail rotor improvements ?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline helipilotk3

When I took apart the pre-assembled tail rotor on my 766 kit to grease and lock tite things, I found two shims on one side and only one on the other side. One tail blade grip has no end play on the tail rotor shaft and the other does have some end play. Is this by design? Or should  there one be one shim on each side or two on each side?

Will Synergy in the future be re-designing the tail rotor design to have a floating spindle shaft and dampeners like in brand "G" helis in the future for a smoother running tail rotor?

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
There should be one shim between the thrust bearing and outer radial bearing on each side. There should be some axial play in each grip, by design.

The exploded view drawing of the tail is on page 77 of the manual.

http://synergyrchelicopters.com/manuals/
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline helipilotk3

Rodney,

Thanks for clarifying the parts  for the tail assembly, so I will remove the extra shim and all will be good.

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
that dampened tail doesn't help at all. it only forces you to have to replace dampers in the tail as well. no difference at all. I don't want my tail soft anyway, I want it as crisp and strong as physically possible.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
the endplay in the grips is by design to help tracking and to keep the tail running smoothly. so don't shim it out. if you rebuild and the play seems to be gone, pull the m3 bolts out of the hub, and clean the locktight off of the washer. that is 99% of the time why the play disappears, the locktight. and the play is needed.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Rob Cherry

• Factory Pilot
Will Synergy in the future be re-designing the tail rotor design to have a floating spindle shaft and dampeners like in brand "G" helis in the future for a smoother running tail rotor?

No changes are required. The dampened tail is typically used to eliminate vibrations caused by errors in manufacturing and/or inherent design flaws that allow the tail shaft/hub to resonate or individual blades to come out of track. This causes the blades to apply an oscillating force which the dampers will absorb.

When the tail components true, support structures are solid, and pitch control is applied identically to both blades, there's no need for dampers in the tail. It's a very simple thrust-only force, no cyclic forces should need to be accounted for. Not at this size anyway... :)
Synergy Factory Pilot