June 15, 2024, 08:19:04 PM

Author Topic: Luck of the non-Irish  (Read 5558 times)

Offline RichH

Re: Luck of the non-Irish
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »
Yep.  Just happened to me last weekend.  Didn't realize the flat didn't go up the shaft far enough.

Unless you're regularly clearing your log files, it will have old data and you will have missed the event.  Kind of a bad design.  Was the ESC beeping error codes when you approached the heli?  You can clear the log by powering up at full throttle.  Unfortunately, if you have an external governor, like V-Bar, you can't clear it this way since the V-bar won't transmit high stick at power up.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
I'm using the castle gov.  I will have to read up in the beeps, didn't hear any, but I was pretty mad so didn hear anything. No will check for the pinion, that is what I was afraid happened.  Either way, can't fly until I have another head axle and main shaft.  Guess I wouldn't fly today anyways, good football is on and then I can (try) occupy my time writing.  But it has felt like more days have been down for repairs then days flying.  Feels like my 130x!  Hopefully it will be maintenance free after this other than replacing theist bearings every 300 or so flights. 
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Luck of the non-Irish
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
It will all pay off. A lot of these things are just items you have to gain knowledge of as you go along. Once it happens you always remember to check it on any new builds or maintenance checks. No reason to fret though, it happens to all of us.   

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »
Good to know. I finally cleaned of the mud and ran the castle log.  I'll load that into here after the game.  But I did notice that my pinion would spin with the main gear some without the motor so that means the set screw is not in good.  I will have my hobby shop dremmel for me because I must not know what I'm doing there.  Tht must be what caused the crash, no motor to gear connection. I'll post the log though to see if you guys notice anything odd.

www.inner3.com

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 11:51:36 PM »
So far the website won't let me post the file. 

Ok good, it let me post it.

www.inner3.com

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
Luck of the non-Irish
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 04:57:56 AM »
It's strange that scorpion doesn't machine a flat spot?
I'm next inner3 stepped up from a blade 450 to an E7. Not looking forward to that first crash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perspective Visuals

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
Took out the motor so I could file a spot for the set screw.  It was as if I never screwed the set screw in.  That is what happened.  I used red loctite and that still did not hold.  I've had issues with something like that before.  Should I just use red loctite, green loctite and super glue all mixed together or what? 
Big question now that the pinion is off.  The 14t came with the kit, can I use that one for higher head speed or would I have to change the tail gear ratio as well?  Don't want to change the tail gear ratio, just wondering if I could use the 14 and then raise the headspeed with the castle gov not seeing issues.  I did well with the 2300 speed, I would like to increase it to 2350 now.  Guess I will be doing some fun filing tomorrow at the office.  Can't use something loud like electric tools but I can take my time with the file.  Now if only my axle and main shaft weren't screwed i could actually fly tomorrow.  Hopefully 2 more days (and buying some lunch for a couple of very helpful buddies!)

www.inner3.com

Offline scanner62

• E5 WANNABE
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 12:35:35 AM »
" My canopy is damaged.  Getting tired of this.  When I picked up the servos got pulled over. Last week had the stripped servo thing.  Now a crash.  Maybe I'm not meant to have this helicopter."

JUST GIVE ME A HEADS UP IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL  ;D ;D ;D 8) ;)

scanner62
My toys go beep,bang, and whirrrr

JR XG8, Pheonix Sim, E5( one day )

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »
Took out the motor so I could file a spot for the set screw.  It was as if I never screwed the set screw in.  That is what happened.  I used red loctite and that still did not hold.  I've had issues with something like that before.  Should I just use red loctite, green loctite and super glue all mixed together or what? 
Big question now that the pinion is off.  The 14t came with the kit, can I use that one for higher head speed or would I have to change the tail gear ratio as well?  Don't want to change the tail gear ratio, just wondering if I could use the 14 and then raise the headspeed with the castle gov not seeing issues.  I did well with the 2300 speed, I would like to increase it to 2350 now.  Guess I will be doing some fun filing tomorrow at the office.  Can't use something loud like electric tools but I can take my time with the file.  Now if only my axle and main shaft weren't screwed i could actually fly tomorrow.  Hopefully 2 more days (and buying some lunch for a couple of very helpful buddies!)

What brand of thread lock are you using?  If it's not Locktite it should be, there have been a bunch of problems with the Permatex brand as well as some of the RC specific brands.  Did you clean the motor shaft and pinion with alcohol prior to assembly?  You do not need to change the tail gear ratio to use the 14 tooth pinion.  The same rules that I explained to you about the Castle ESC will still apply with regard to the percentages and warnings.  If you change to the 14TP pay attention to your ESC and motor temps.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:08:27 PM by RichL »
Synergy E5: Scorpion HKIII 4025-1100, CC ICE2 120HV, Rail 556/96, V-Bar Silverline

Synergy E7: Quantum 4530-500, CC ICE2 160HV, Rail 716/116, V-Bar Silverline

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
I use nothing but loctite as you recommended, I don't trust anything else.  But I did NOT put loctite on the shaft which I didn't know I should do, but you better believe I will now.  Also going to file a really nice spot for the set screw.  Just bought my file and am about to get started...we'll see how long that takes.  Hmmm, motor temps. I have been able to fly 3 batteries in a row without having a hot motor or esc.  I will have to think about which pinion to put on before I stick it on.

No way am I going to sell

www.inner3.com

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
Inner3,

Loctite on the shaft is a bad idea unless you are trying to make the pinion a permanent fixture. It will be very difficult to remove when you decide to perform maintenance or change head speeds. The flat spot is 100% mandatory, there is too much power in a 2200 watt motor to not use a flat spot. Use loctite on the set screw.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »
Gotcha, I will just put loctite on the set screw only so I will be able to change pinions if necessary.  I have a really nice flat spot now so I'm sure it will stay put, but I'll keep checking every couple of flights now.  A lot of people just use blue loctite, I'm hoping that will be strong enough unless its recommended to go with the red on the set screw.  Lots of different opinions I've seen on this. 

www.inner3.com

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Luck of the non-Irish
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
To me, something that is under the stress and torsion levels that a pinion is, I would only ever use red on the pinion set screw.
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Also, the locktite on the motor shaft came from a thread in the helifreak forum.  It was suggested to apply a small amount to the shaft also.  Just as long as the blue will hold.  But I've used the blue before and it has held well, just a ton of torque on this bad boy. Hope to fly by this weekend!

www.inner3.com