September 28, 2024, 06:29:45 PM

Author Topic: Jive 120 and Scorpion 1100kv  (Read 1728 times)

Offline TheBigE

Jive 120 and Scorpion 1100kv
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
Anybody running this combo?   I am starting to have some issues with motor cutting out.   

I will post more details tomorrow, but just curious if anyone is running this combo with success.

Thanks

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: Jive 120 and Scorpion 1100kv
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
Does the light on your ESC flash? if yes how many time?
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline JeepCJ

Jive 120 and Scorpion 1100kv
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »
I'm running the 100LV with Scorpion 1100 without any issues
Bob Fisk
Team Synergy
Central NY

Offline TheBigE

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:26:01 AM »
All,
Here is my setup -

Synergy E5 with 14T Pinion running at 2300 RPM
Kontronik Jive 120 HV (V9) setup as Mode 1,4,9
Scorpion 4025HKIII-1100 KV Motor
TP 4400 6s Mah Battery Packs (45C and 65C) with approximately 20 cycles

6 Flights with mild 3D, mainly I was dialing in my Helicommand on these flights.  No issues   

Yesterday, I did 3 flights.   Since I was happy with the setup of the Helicommand, I worked the heli a bit harder through the flight.  About 2 minutes into the Flight (timer is set to 4 min), I get what I first thought was a radio hit (DX8), or a mechanical issue.  I immediately hit TH hold, had power for servos (BEC) and auto the unit down.  in fact, I lifted the heli back up very cautiously and it hovered fine (no disconnect of battery, just dusted it off and hovered).    I immediately looked over the heli and looked at the Spektrum Satellites and they were both solid orange (no flashing…no radio issue).   I have to admit that I did not look at the lights on the ESC, as I had the JLog installed.   

I downloaded the flight data from my installed Jlog, and attached a picture.  At 3 min 20s, the Voltage drops to 17.5 volts and the current spikes up around 250 amps., this was the cutout.    Then I cut power and did an Auto.   At first I thought that a cell on the battery dropped out, and then came back after I hit TH Hold.   So after reviewing the Log I went back up and flew again, with a new battery pack.   I took it pretty easy on this flight, and had no issues.  I had one more battery pack and went up for a third flight (sadly I forgot to put the SD card back in Jlog...whoops)  Anyways, I flew the heli more aggressively for about 3 minutes and again I have a motor cut out, but it comes right back and no issue.   This time I land, and do not have to Auto   Again I forgot to look at my ESC (my bad)    So now I am scratching my head, and think that the original battery was not the issue.   

Some thoughts.

The temperature outside was 34F and I have not installed the external heat sink on the controller, just figured at this temperature it was not required.

I have read some post where KSA mode is required, again, I have not set this mode.   Also perhaps I could lower my LV Cutout on my ESC.   Just a thought,

The gear mesh is silky smooth, so I do not think this is an issue.

I am running the 120 HV only because I had it new in box and just sitting around, I understand a bit overkill but it should do the job.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Offline BrianE

• Field Representative
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:46 AM »
It might be a weak battery and/or cold temps outside.  Try a newer battery on a warmer day and see if you have the same problem. 

Are you running DSM2 satellites or DSMX?  Only when you bind using DSM2 will the satellites flash when the power has been interrupted.  If you have DSMX satellites you need to make sure your DX8 is set to DSMX when you bind or you may force the radio/receivers into DSM2 instead.
E7SE, Sliverline VBar, Edge 160HVf, Scorpion HKIII 4530, Futaba BLS, OptiGuard and BEC Guards

E5-626, Vbar NEO, Edge 120HV, Scorpion HKIII 4035, MKS 950/980 OptiGuard and BEC Guards

Offline TheBigE

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »
Running DSMX sats, and have the DX8 set to bind in DSMX mode.   Thinking it may be more of an issue with ESC or battery as you say.