September 29, 2024, 01:29:17 AM

Author Topic: Help? Blade grips too snug  (Read 1226 times)

Offline jabull

Help? Blade grips too snug
« on: August 25, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
Ok, so after 4 tries of assembling and dissembling.. i suppose it's time to ask the team why my blade grips are too tight? pulling out the set of the outer most spacers seems like about the clearance i need to allow the grips to move freely.  I have verified that the bearing races are seated etc.  any tips would be a great help. I
Synergy E5, Protos 500, 130X, Wife and 4 Teenagers, CS Fender Strat, Old truck, Software Engineer

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Help? Blade grips too snug
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »
Do you mean that when you tighten the spindle shaft screws the blade grips feel ratchety as you turn them?

Offline jabull

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:34:30 PM »
not really ratchety like the bearings have issues as much as way to snug with too little clearance and not smooth.
Synergy E5, Protos 500, 130X, Wife and 4 Teenagers, CS Fender Strat, Old truck, Software Engineer

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »
Perhaps the innermost thrust bearing race may not be seated all the way in.  Sometimes they require heat from a butane torch to seat all the way in.

Offline jabull

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »
We can all rest easy now  8) turns out that even after multiple tries, the problem was that I mistook inner and outer races and had a pair of inner races on one side of the grips and a pair of outer on the other. Using the spindle to validate that I had the races with the narrowest center diameters to the outside and largest inside diameters to the inside solved the problem.  Thanks for the help, and hopefully this will help anyone else with a similar problem.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:37:02 PM by jabull »

flyalan

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »
We can all rest easy now  8) turns out that even after multiple tries, the problem was that due to not quite spot on thicknesses, i mistook inner and outer races and had a pair of inner races on one side of the grips and a pair of outer on the other. Using the spindle to validate that I had the races with the narrowest center diameters to the outside and largest inside diameters to the inside solved the problem.  Thanks for the help, and hopefully this will help anyone else with a similar problem.

John,

Lets be perfectly clear.  The issue was a builder oversight not an issue with the thickness of the bearing races... A common builder mistake though.

Cheers
Alan

Offline jabull

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
We can all rest easy now  8) turns out that even after multiple tries, the problem was that due to not quite spot on thicknesses, i mistook inner and outer races and had a pair of inner races on one side of the grips and a pair of outer on the other. Using the spindle to validate that I had the races with the narrowest center diameters to the outside and largest inside diameters to the inside solved the problem.  Thanks for the help, and hopefully this will help anyone else with a similar problem.

John,

Lets be perfectly clear.  The issue was a builder oversight not an issue with the thickness of the bearing races... A common builder mistake though.

Cheers
Alan

Alan, your correct.. and I've updated my reply above to reflect that.  The issue certainly was mine not quality control. In fact, it's a testimony to how close the tolerances are that a little slip like this made the difference.
Thanks,
Jeff

flyalan

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
Sorry Jeff.  Called you John.  Sorry John ;D

Believe you me I have done that one myself!  So let's get that puppy flying!

Cheers
Alan