June 30, 2024, 01:07:15 PM

Author Topic: Spur Gear Mesh  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Pete Busch

Spur Gear Mesh
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
I recently had a problem with my spur gear for the TT. My tail had a really weird kick to it, we couldn't figure it out then all of a sudden GAK. I successfully auto'ed it down and found that about 6 teeth were broken off the 54 tooth spur gear. When I built it the mesh between the 54 and 12 tooth spur gear was on the tight side and I though it would just break in but no go. Anyways, got the new parts, put them in and these were tight also. What I did was loosen up all the screws that hold the main shaft bearing blocks in place, loosen the screws that hold the TT tranny in place, then folded a piece of paper in half and ran it in between the two gears and left it there while I re tightened everything. Now the mesh is perfect with just a tiny bit of play between the gears. The tolerances are pretty much perfect on this heli but there is a tiny bit of movement in the holes in the frames where all the screws go through.

I hope the tight mesh was the cause of my tail jerking around which makes sense.

One other thing I noticed when taking apart was the Jesus bolt had a slight S bend in it. I have no idea why? The only thing I can think of is I was doing some hard climb outs trying to get the tail figured out but that shouldn't bend the bolt or is it possible?

I just thought I would post this if anyone else was having trouble with their mesh.

Offline Tommy Wagner

• Field Representative
Spur Gear Mesh
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
One thing to watch os how tight the bolts that hold the main shaft to the gears they need to be tight bit not so tight to stretch the shoulder. Hope this helps.

Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: Spur Gear Mesh
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
Hard climbs would not bend the jesus bolt. You may have put stress on the bolt due to sudden  fracture of the spur gear.

Put in a new one to be sure.

You can 3D all day long and not bend the jesus. As Tom mentioned, careful torquing is mandatory.
Team Synergy

Offline Pete Busch

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »
There's no way I'm running it like that, have some new ones coming. Jesus should be visiting me tomorrow  ;D

I probably over torqued it.

What was odd about the spur gear is the small 12 tooth spur gear looked like new, it didn't even show any signs of wear

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:07:32 AM »
Keep in mind, the third main shaft bearing block hole in the frames are notched for 1mm of adjustment in both directions. Also make sure your front transmission is build square and your boom is not pressed against the mushroom gear bearing block. I'd imagine the gear mesh could get tight if some of these things are out of alignment.

Hope that helps,

Matt