September 28, 2024, 03:16:50 PM

Author Topic: Middle canopy standoff? maingear rubbing canopy  (Read 3860 times)

Offline stevehof

Middle canopy standoff? maingear rubbing canopy
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
Trying to track down an 'unnatural' noise.... ;) I found that despite having two tail rotor blade spacers under each rear canopy mount the canopy is rubbing on the main gear. Is anyone using an mid position standoff to ensure that the canopy can't rub on the main gear?? Looks like 25mm is about right.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:42:40 PM by stevehof »

Offline seldred

Re: Middle canopy standoff? Canopy rubbing maingear
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »
I initially had mine rub when I installed RC booya mounts, but after putting a tail blade spacer I have yet to have an issue. Have you tried gently heating th canopy and applying pressure to the area around the main gear? This can sometimes help mold the canopy slightly.  Hope you find a solution soon!

Offline GAR

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:39:47 AM »
Heating the canopy and shaping to clear should help.

Align has stand off for the 600 Pro that I'm using, but mine is a three point mount not four like stock.

Offline stevehof

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Thanks, never tried to heat and shape a canopy, never had to. How hot does it need to be before it can be successfully shaped? I have a IR temp gun. How far can you move it without danger of cracking the paint or clear coat? I'm a bit hesitant to try this since I have no experience.

The body is so flexible right there. It doesn't always rub. I think wind pressure under certain circumstances pushes the body into the gear. At rest it clears by about 2-3mm but you can clearly see where the gear has been leaving Delrin on the fiberglass...

I may just go ahead and put in two 25X5mm RC car body standoffs. They are threaded on both ends so I just need to drill a 3mm hole in the frame between the first motor mount screw location and bottom of the frame.

Offline Yanick Larouche

• Field Representative
Middle canopy standoff? Canopy rubbing maingear
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »
+1 for seldred!

This work well!

Yan
Team Synergy

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
+ 2 on what Sheldred said.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline stevehof

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
Thanks for all the +1's but that doesn't tell me how to safely heat and shape the canopy...;D So, here is my solution. A. 15 mm standoff pushed into a Trex 500 rubber standoff. Can't rub now no matter the G or wind forces.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline seldred

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
You don't want to over heat it to the point it starts to change color.. I would hold a heat gun on it for about 15-20 seconds or until it starts to become hot to touch. Then press your finger into the bend where the main gear fits push it out and hold it there for a few seconds until it cools down. You can repeat this process a few times until you get the results you need. Send me an email if you'd like. I will be able to communicate faster that way. Seldred1@yahoo.com

Best,

-Steve

Offline stevehof

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
Thanks Steve, I guess I don't trust myself with the heat gun, which would have to be a hair dryer around here. So, drilled two 3mm holes and done with it. There is a flat on the Canopy just below the gear bulge and the Trex 500 canopy standoff fits that flat like a glove.

Offline seldred

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
Glad you got it solved. Let me know if theres anything else you ever need help with.

Best,
-Steve

Offline Darren Lee

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
Weird, mine has lots of clearance with Booya mounts.  It was kinda close with stock mounts.
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Morgan Fuel

Offline stevehof

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
I don't like the Booya quick release mounts. I just drilled my rear mounts and use a standard RC car body clip to insure the canopy can't blow off. My Canopy is by Fusuno but it fits inside or outside of the stock canopy just like a glove. Both have a thickness of around .027 inch. So, either they copied one of Matt's canopies exactly or they are the OEM for the E6/7 canopies. Mine didn't rub when sitting and not all the time when flying. However, the canopy was flexible enough at the area over the main gear to rub under the right wind, flying direction or whatever. You could see the scrape marks where the gear left Delrin on the inside of the Canopy. It was a 5 minute fix with $15 worth of parts.

Offline panz

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 05:43:21 AM »
I put 2 tail blade spacers on my rc booya mounts and still don't get enough clearance. I may need to copy your solution Stevehof  ;D

@Stevehof: do you mind sharing the details? what parts to get and how did you mount them? cheers

Offline stevehof

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
The metal link part of the standoff https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/axa1311-15mm-upper-link-extensions-2-p-656.html looks like a small dumbbell and actually captures the Trex 500 canopy standoff, Align part# H50068T (contains two standoffs) so it can't move in or out without significant manipulation. The photo in the link is generic, the actual part is much shorter. Push the metal link into the small end of the Trex standoff. I manually positioned the assembled 'custom' standoff to where it would meet the flat area on the canopy just below the gear bulge to determine where to drill my mounting hole. Next, in that location drill a 2.8 to 3mm hole, push a 3X6mm screw through the inside of the hole and thread on the metal link post. Use a little Loctite

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:17:07 PM by stevehof »

Offline panz

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 07:17:23 AM »
Thanks Stevehof! I'll give it a go