June 26, 2024, 12:53:55 AM

Author Topic: Battery Wiring. Middle of the frame or to the front?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline jasumx

Battery Wiring. Middle of the frame or to the front?
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
Hi folks! I have an E6 that I'm starting to put together, and as it happens this is my first HV setup. I am trying to plan out my battery setup and could use some advice.

I've seen a lot of posts where people are extending their battery wires via banana plugs to get all their connectors out the front, and very few where they leave the battery cables the stock length and run them out the side of the frame. Is there any advantage aside from having both connectors in one place? I like the idea of having the battery connectors on the side so that they're accessible while the canopy is on. That way I can get to them quickly if something goes wrong, and I don't have to power the ESC until I am totally ready to fly.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find much info on why people prefer to run their batteries this way. I'd prefer not to ignore what seems to be the standard way of doing things and run into issues later  :)

Thanks,
Jason
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:15:50 PM by jasumx »

Offline Chuck Bole

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: ESC Wiring. Middle of the frame or to the front?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
 I run mine to the front. Having them on the side of the frames would work good too.
As long as there is no chafing of the wires. 

chuck
Team Synergy Field Representative / Thunder Power

flyalan

ESC Wiring. Middle of the frame or to the front?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
I run the back pack connector out the right side frame and the front pack out the front.  Mine are stick packs. 
Both for the E6 and E7. Only chore is being sure to push the back connector out the side before starting to strap down the Battery.

Cheers
Alan

Alan Butler

Sent from my IPAD using Tapatalk HD

Offline jasumx

Re: Battery Wiring. Middle of the frame or to the front?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot running the battery wires out each side and see what I come up with. I bought 3' of the black and red 10 guage wire for this project, so I have a few tries to get it right :)

I'll post a picture or 2 if I come up with something that works well and still looks clean.

flyalan

Re: Battery Wiring. Middle of the frame or to the front?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:00:36 AM »
This is what I do.  I always be sure to sand all frame openings during the build so chaffing is not an issue.  You never know where you might want to route a wire.  I recently moved the ESC to the top of the front tray.  It had been on he underside with the flight pack on top.  This made for a tight fit in the main battery area and was also causing the ESC to get a bit hot.  Cooling is much better now and there is more room in the batter area.  The flight pack on the side frame required a spacer on the front canopy mounts to get the needed clearance.

Cheers,
Alan