June 30, 2024, 05:32:34 AM

Author Topic: landing skids asembly  (Read 3771 times)

Offline copenhagen

Re: landing skids asembly
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 05:52:22 AM »
I'm pretty proud of the fact that, in just over a year, I have experienced just about every different way one can crash a helicopter... LOL.  I'm just going to call it experimenting.  Yeah, it's obscenely expensive but sometimes the results are pretty spectacular. 

In fact, just yesterday, I was flying my E5 after just having re-assembling it from the last crash.  On the first flight I kept hearing a kind of hollow sound like maybe the canopy was rubbing somewhere.  I landed, swapped the flight pack, and took off again (after checking the heli out) without the canopy to see if that was the noise.  It sounded and was flying great.  I did a piro-flip and about the time the nose was pointed straight down the helicopter just exploded like it had been hit with an anti-helicopter round.  Turns out I didn't have the battery strap cinched out tight enough and my 4400mAh 6S battery went right through the main rotor disc.  It was pretty awesome to see.  I'm not going to lie, though... it was a little depressing considering how great it was flying.  ;D

On the plus side... my landing skids and struts all survived in tact!

I have had many epic crashes with my Blades.  (As you know, my E5 is in the development stage.)  Two that really stand out both had to do with flybarless linkages popping off mid-flight.  I think this is a problem with the crummy little blade links- that or me being a cheap ass and using the same link until I lose it...  Anyhow, when you lose a flybarless link, it sounds like getting a tire blown out at 80mph down the freeway.  It is quite impressive.  The heli will go into an uncontrollable piro, and down she goes.  Bam.