September 28, 2024, 09:18:21 PM

Author Topic: E7SE Tail Hub Assembly  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Tom W.

E7SE Tail Hub Assembly
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Hi all

I really hate pre-assembled parts. I can not understand why by pre-assembled parts the screw are tightened so hard that it is not possible to remove it.

I can not remove set screw 100-464. I already distroyed a hex-wrench. So I can not check if the tail pitch slider is secured correct.
It is even impossible to remove one of the tail blade grips! This stucks like there is an hiden screw.

What can I do?

thx for your help.
Thomas
(who is really nerved)

flyalan

E7SE Tail Hub Assembly
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
Thomas,
It's a liability issue. Preassemble parts should be disassembled to lube, etc.  unfortunately not everyone does that. Some will just fly it assuming all is well.  If these parts were not assembled in such a matter it puts the liability on the manufacturer. You may also wonder why they are assembled at all.  That  would be to be sure the correct parts and numbers of parts are included in the kit.  You might also ask why then aren't they just ready to fly.  That is a cost issue. Paying someone to pack all those bearings would be expensive:-)
I have built numerous Synergy helicopters and have yet to find an assembly I could not disassemble. The proper tools are a must. Good hex drivers and a good set of t-handle hex drivers are a must.
Have you tried heating parts that are stubborn?  That has worked for me every time.

I am not trying to dismiss your frustration.  Just pointing out the why's and what fors.
I am sure you can overcome:-)

Cheers
Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy

Offline Tom W.

Re: E7SE Tail Hub Assembly
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
Hi Alan
I would not have a problem if the screws would not be tighten so hard. Anyway, sometime I will get this bird up in the air and hopefully I will have a big smile when I'm flying it.

I have not yet tried to heaten the parts. So I will heaten the set screw 100-464. And the tail blade grip which I can not remove from the tail rotor hub in the fridge?

I'm not sure, but I think someone has written the the tail pitch slider is already secured correctly. Can anyone confirm this?

thx
Thomas
(going to bed now, after 10pm here)

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
The pre-assembled parts issue can be argued both ways.  Synergy chose the pre-assemble path, and that seems to be here to stay.  Why some of the pre-assembled parts are so tight and challenging to remove, has been discussed in other threads; "legal liability" is the term that always comes up.

A good butane torch seems to solve this hard to remove screws issue.

Also, since the pre-assemble greasy screws contaminate the inner threads, and these inner threads are very difficult to clean completely, consider using oil tolerant blue Loctite 243 instead of the regular blue Loctite 242.

flyalan

E7SE Tail Hub Assembly
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »

I am not trying to explain away anything. Legal liability is a huge issue to a manufacturer. Getting sued because some idiot killed himself because he assumed that he didn't need to check the head axle bolts would be very costly.  Liability is a fact of life and is not to be taken lightly. To me it's pretty obvious that a cup of coffee is hot and you will get burned if you spill it on yourself. Historically to some it is not so obvious:-)

As I said previously stated I have never had any difficulty getting a bolt loose on any Heli, Synergy or otherwise.  It is a matter technique and knowing the limitations of your tool selection.

Cheers
Alan

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
E7SE Tail Hub Assembly
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:10:52 PM »
For screws with lots of loctite use you soldering station. I got an E7 from a guy and he use red loctite everywhere. Keep the tip hot and hold or on the head of the bolt for a few seconds or until you see the loctite smoke.
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
Alan,

I am not minimizing the implications of litigation and liability concerns.  However, this issue with tightly pre-assembled parts is brought up frequently by Synergy helicopter owners, but I have not read of an official explanation to explain this.  I have read on different forum threads that legal liability is what explains this phenomenon, but to date, I have not read a formal explanation from an authorized Synergy representative that legal liability is in fact the reason to explain why some of the pre-assebled parts are so tightly pre-assembled.

So, is legal liability the official explanation supported by Matt and Synergy R/C, or is there some other reason?

flyalan

E7SE Tail Hub Assembly
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »
Last time I checked I did represent Synergy :-)
If you need to hear this directly from Matt than can be arranged. Matt has discussed this with the team.

Cheers
Alan

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »
Alan,

I did not appreciate the extent of your involvement and relation with Synergy.  Thank you for all your help.

flyalan

E7SE Tail Hub Assembly
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
No problem!

Cheers
Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy