June 22, 2024, 08:59:14 PM

Author Topic: Servo info - lacking on advertisement.  (Read 1771 times)

Offline cyprusflyer

Servo info - lacking on advertisement.
« on: February 16, 2014, 06:07:01 AM »
Just toying with the idea of getting hold of the N5C, N7 going great, need a smaller Nitro I feel  :D
Getting a little hacked off trying to find what I would need, engine fine thats simple enough, but servo's, digging around getting bits and pieces here and there.
So as I understand it, Cyclic and Tail are standard sized servos but throttle is a mini??
Can I suggest a sentence to this effect on the advertisement? shouldnt have to be chasing around forums for basic information, a lot of vendors are becoming bad at this, maybe they dont want the unwary to know you have to spend the same again on radio, servos, blades, FBL etc but a footnote on recommended equipment would be good.
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline Mike King

• Field Representative
  • Viva la nitro!
Re: Servo info - lacking on advertisement.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »
You are correct, throttle servo is a mini.
Mike King
Field Representative

Offline Tommy Wagner

• Field Representative
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
Very good flying heli!!!

Offline rimaarts

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
actually in n5c( NOT tt manual) manual, there is page with items needed... and it lists servo sizes...

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »
OK thanks, just a suggestion, in a business sense, I as a potential customer looking at buying a product is having to dig around quite a bit to see what I would need to put this together, I downloaded the latest manual but see the older has the info.
Unfortunately all my purchases are done over 2000 miles away UK-Cyprus so I cannot just pop in for a chat and really annoying when I have got it wrong, servo sizes etc.
Clear now though thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:20:45 PM by cyprusflyer »
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline Jon Mills

• Field Representative
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
If I may,
3 standard cyclic servos with two sided horns (typically comes with servo)
Tail Servo
Mini (not micro) servo for the throttle ideally as fast or faster than the cyclic you pick out (speed is the issue it takes no torque to turn a carb linkage) I have a savox 1257 it can only handle 6.0v
inline regulator if you want to run 7.4v  futaba sells a good one for cheap
Blades mains and tail commonly Rail 606mm tail 96mm
3 axis gyro
receiver
zip ties
loctite
switchglo must have once I used it once
receiver battery somewhere in the 2200 mah range (the frame is 30mm wide)
motor (OS 55 works great)
pipe (Hatori Sab55 is also great)
botos sizer
pitch guage
jb weld,
tools

and thats it maybe other can add to that list.

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »
Thanks for that, built quite a few helis but new to Nitro and couldnt put my hand on some of the info, I have most of the stuff in mind now, if i go for it will do a fairly budget build, I have a spare Heli command, full size servos (Align 610) don't laugh no problem all all my logo electric 600. Need a Tail servo and mini throttle. Engine will not be quite so budget, OS55 HZ-R with OS pipe and probably buy an Align 2-in1 for power and glow, again some may scoff but friends have used them for years with no problems. Almost tempted to get an Aerospire governor thats not that cheap but it can tune my mixture for me like Carb Smart once I get the mixture in the ball park.
Will also put RPM and head temp telemetry on, works really well with the N7.
BTW I found the Savox 1357 as a throtte candidate, 1257 is standard size according to my dealer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:33:51 AM by cyprusflyer »
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »
I've been running Align DS610 servos on my N5C since day one and they've been solid.  I am also using an Align DS520 for the throttle.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Jon Mills

• Field Representative
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »
Sh-1257mg  is in fact a mini servo, the one I have is anyway. All of the items you listed sound great no scoffing here. I have found that because the N5C is so light it doesn't take much in the way of servo power to make it dance.

Here is a completely opinion based idea and should be taken as such. I have tried the OS powerboost 2 and the CYMp5 and the outrage 55 pipe and finally the hatori Sab55. I found the Hatori is the best of those. With that being said I sent you a personal message.

Offline Tommy Wagner

• Field Representative
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
Thanks for that, built quite a few helis but new to Nitro and couldnt put my hand on some of the info, I have most of the stuff in mind now, if i go for it will do a fairly budget build, I have a spare Heli command, full size servos (Align 610) don't laugh no problem all all my logo electric 600. Need a Tail servo and mini throttle. Engine will not be quite so budget, OS55 HZ-R with OS pipe and probably buy an Align 2-in1 for power and glow, again some may scoff but friends have used them for years with no problems. Almost tempted to get an Aerospire governor thats not that cheap but it can tune my mixture for me like Carb Smart once I get the mixture in the ball park.
Will also put RPM and head temp telemetry on, works really well with the N7.
BTW I found the Savox 1357 as a throtte candidate, 1257 is standard size according to my dealer.

I would go with something different than the align 2 in 1  the switch use to go bad on these. the bad part is its not a failsafe when it goes bad it turns off. there is more vibs and oil and nitro and dirt that gets into everything. With nitro the less connections there are the better. if you only want to 6v use a life pack. I have one of the Hyperion hv mini servos on the N5c TT but i have not put enough flights on it to comment. plus glow is good very small and like 30 35 dollars

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
Thanks, already come to that conclusion B***ks always over budget, have ordered a Gryphon Vega regulator with pin switch and the Switchglo pro for use on a 2S Lipo pack, about 3 times the cost but less chance of tears later on!
I suspect there may be a little legacy bias against good old Align but you do get what you pay for as long as your careful, I suspect there are vendors taking advantage of this in pricing but Gryphon has a great reputation.
I have taken all my Align DS610 servos apart, de-greased the gears, inspected them all under magnifying glass and put on new grease. I then soak tested them all with a Hitec servo tester, swinging from end-point to end-point for 1 hr, then swung them on slow setting putting pressure against the torque to feel for problems. All 3 performed flawlessly so confident they will be just fine, the only downside is that they consume more power than an equivalent Futaba and there is a bit more backlash. My style is mainly sport so unless I take up crazy smack, then no way will I tell the difference, I cannot with 3 Logo's and a Trex 550, all use the 610 servos :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:30:13 AM by cyprusflyer »
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR