October 05, 2024, 09:40:43 AM

Author Topic: Bearings - build and maintenance ?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline rmarlan

Bearings - build and maintenance ?
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
Greetings - just starting on my Synergy E5 build.  I have read a lot of conflicting information regarding bearings.  I am good with the thrust bearings.  The issue is with the radial bearings. 

1) Do they need to be removed and greased with the greaser and EMB grease before the build?

2) Do you avoid oil such as Triflow to avoid dissolving and removing the grease?

3) Suggested regular maintenance on the bearings.  ? need for removal regrease reoil ?

4) Best way to remove the bearings without damage.

The E5 is such a beautiful design, I want to build and maintain it properly.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.  8)

Bob

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: Bearings - build and maintenance ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
I have always just installed them the way they were, then IF I notice that they may be getting a little wet (like the grease is coming out) I put a drop or two of oil on them. then the next time I am near them, I just replace them.

I buy my bearings in bulk when I can. thrust bearings are different, they are hard to find in bulk. but radial bearings can be found rather easily in bulk and pretty cheap. I usually buy them 20 at a time, that whey when I notice one is getting notchy, or I am even near one that is hard to get to, I go ahead and replace them.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Synew

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 05:21:10 PM »
I used the greaser on all of the bearings on my TDR before the build, and will do the same on the E5 I'm just starting on. I bought the greaser recently, so don't have any long term results to compare with, but the way I see it...grease is a bearings best friend. :)

No oil, it's too thin and will just be slung off - making a mess and no longer providing lubrication.

If they get notchy definitely replace them, you can't fix a bad bearing with grease. 
I agree with Mike...if they have a number of flights, and especially hard to get at, replace them if/when the opportunity arises

Offline Airbass

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:54:55 PM »
I am wondering how you can grease ZZ bearings. Only oil can penetrate the shields. I use standard spray lubricant for bearings which is additioned with lithium soap.
However TT and front tail gear box won't be maintained before the next crash. I wish never :-)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9195 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
Synergy bearings don't need to be greased or oil , they are factory greased.
I, on occasion,  during repairs or routine maintenance will regreased some, if over 300-400 flights.

The only exception are the tail pitch slider bearings, which I put Triflow oil on every 4 flights.

By the way, The Greaser will easily push grease past the zz dust shields if you need to grease.
Team Synergy