July 07, 2024, 05:46:09 AM

Author Topic: Swashplate Friction Question  (Read 3174 times)

Offline ElectricSheep

Swashplate Friction Question
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
Hi all, I noticed that my swashplate doesn't spin as smooth as I think it should. What I mean is that if I take the swashplate off the main shaft, and try to spin the inner part of it (the one with the shorter pivot balls), it doesn't spin very freely. It'll basically stop within a few mm after I'm no longer in contact with it.

I get the same results if I turn the swashplate upside down -- and hold the inner part -- while spinning the outer/larger part of the swashplate.

I took off the inner (smaller) pivot balls, and I've also loosened the M3x12 screw as well as -- and the swash plate feels about the same. I can definitely feel the friction while spinning the swashplate by hand. It feels like something's binding, but I don't know where that binding is. The swashplate bearing looks to be in the right place and nothing looks like it's mis-aligned.

Are any of you guys experiencing the same? I know the motor will overcome that friction, but I'm pretty sure the swashplate will get hot once the heli is spooled up and flying. Maybe I'll just try flying as-is and check the swashplate with an IR temp gun... (?)

Thanks,
Gerry
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:35:15 PM by ElectricSheep »

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: Swashplate Friction Question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
Didn't notice anything unusual on mine. Is it just bearing grease friction, as bearing is full when new, or metal friction.
Team Synergy

Offline seldred

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »
I noticed on one of mine that the inner balls would stop it when threaded in completely. I shaved down the threaded portion on the balls and the swash plate spins freely now.

Offline churchyj

• Team Synergy
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »
Apply a little tri-flow oil before flying too.
www.extremehelis.com
Auzzy distributor for all things Matt Botos &
Explosion Crank Fuels

Offline Maxturbine

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
.Slowly unscrew one ball at a time out on the inner swashplate race. You may find that one of the studs may be a little putting pressure on the helm ball.  This has happen before and it will cause it not to rotate or pivot freely. Just take that one out and put a 3mm nut on it.  Grind a little off and back out the nut to clean the threads. That should fix it

Offline DAldridge

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:49 AM »
Gerry, is it tight/binding on the heim ball, or the large bearing?  I just got through dissassembling/cleaning/loctiting/reassembling my swash on my build, and mine doesn't "spin" as freely as other swashplates I have/had.  Even with removing the clamping bolt and set screw to the bearing, it's still pretty stiff.

I'm personally not going to be terribly concerned about mine yet, as it'll fly as-is (though I bet it'll hurt autos a bit).  I'll simply check it again after 20 flights or so...

Offline wicked_n_raw

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
I just finished doing my swash, and I have the same problem!  I will try and loosen the linkage balls to see if that does anything, but it fells like the delrin they used for the inner ball is not self lubricating as it should and sticking.  Mine is really bad, and I would be scared to fly it in this condition.

Regards,
Furron
The only things in life that are certain are death, taxes, and heli!

Regards,
Furron

Offline wicked_n_raw

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:19:28 AM »
Ok after loosening up all for linkage balls on the inner ring, the swash is smooth as butter.  I am off to dremel off some of the threads on the balls.

regards,
Furron
The only things in life that are certain are death, taxes, and heli!

Regards,
Furron

codesource

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 03:19:57 AM »
My swash has been horribly tight....i have been unable to loosen this thing up and is not fit for flight.
Does anyone know if there is a replacement or alternative swash yet?

-Codesource

Offline Yanick Larouche

• Field Representative
Swashplate Friction Question
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:21 AM »
Hi electricSheep!

Do what Maxturbune said!!

It should help!!

Yan
Team Synergy