September 28, 2024, 03:17:22 PM

Author Topic: Method for disassembling the swashplate  (Read 1536 times)

Offline jasumx

Method for disassembling the swashplate
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »
When rotating the inner ring it feels very gritty...  I have tried loosening and even removing the set screw and clamping screw in the lower plate, and I have backed the balls on the inner plate out a few mm to eliminate that as an issue, but it still feels almost like there is sand in the bearing race. The airframe was crashed before I got it and I had to use the socket trick to get the heim ball pressed back in place, so it's very possible that sand got all up in there.

After loosening all the previously mentioned parts, I can't press the inner ring out of the outer ring to get at the bearings. I tried applying a bit of heat, but I haven't used much force yet. I'd rather ask the question before I destroy it.

If anyone has disassembled their swash before or can give me some advice on how it is done please let me know. I assume that the inner ring can be pressed upwards and away from the outer ring, but I don't know where is safe to press.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: Method for disassembling the swashplate
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »
Don't think you can press it out, because of the lip on the inner ring. I would pry out the bottom bearing seal, flush out the grease and grit with compressed air and solvent then regrease bearing. Depending on the grease you use, it should not leak out, even though seal is out. I did that on a Quick UK swash, and was able to save it that way.
Team Synergy

Offline jasumx

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
Worked like a charm! The bearing shield wasn't eve that hard to get out with the set and clamping screws out. I think there might still be 1 grain of sand in there that I couldn't get no matter how hard I tried, but it is way better than it was.

I used clear triflow grease (same thing I use on thrust bearings) so it's a bit stiff when rotating. That should break down a bit and spread out after the heli is spun up a few times though.

Thanks for the help :)

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
Glad it helped. :)
Team Synergy