May 01, 2024, 06:04:26 AM

Author Topic: Helicommand HC3-SX on Spectrum  (Read 17653 times)

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
Helicommand HC3-SX on Spectrum
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »
Setting up my first FBL unit the HC3-SX with my DX8. Thought I would start a thread for questions. I have a receiver pack for the set up. Will be bypassing my Kontronik 120 HV Jive leaving it out for set up. Had to order new tape as this E7 is a used with 10 flights currently set up for Futaba. I have two DSMX satellites coming in.
Just removed the unit from the back plate and found that I should have ordered more tape? I had to mover it to the center to allow access for the satellites ports. I don't have the software set up yet.

First questions related to the satellites. With the dual Sat. install should I get and extension to take one of the Sats. closer to the front.  Any recommendations for there placement. Can the be inside or should the be mounted on the out side of the carbon frames?
Perspective Visuals

flyalan

Re: Helicommand HC3-SX on Spectrum
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
Granted I am not a Spektrum guy but I would imagine that placing the Sats at a 90 degree orientation to each other would increase diversity.  Outside the frames would be advisable.  I run the antenna wires from my Futaba receiver out the back below the tail tube.  The antenna leads are at 90 degrees from each other.

I am sure one of the Spektrum folks will chime in.

Cheers
Alan

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
Yes you want the Spektrum antennas 90 degrees from each other and also a quite few inches apart. In my case I have 7 inches between my AR7200BX and the satellite which is at the bottom of the frame.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:54:52 PM »
Ok great!
Basically a shorter servo extension wouldn't hurt to have on hand.

Thank Barry
Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
Downloaded the software from Helicommand and installed it on my PC.  Mostly use Mac computer doesn't look like there is an option unless you use windows on a MAC.

Soft ware installed fine.  Has some trouble with the driver. Tried twice to activate the HC3-SX. Said no connection. Restarted the program with the Helicommand on this time and showed up connected.

Saved a copy of the current configuration to my PC.
Checked firmware for current version.

Took a look around the tabs.

Next step waiting for more mounting tape to remount it for clearance for the satellites.

Perspective Visuals

flyalan

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
Sorry no Mac version :-(. I run windows 7 in bootcamp on my MacBook Air.  Have to use that for Castle link anyway.

Cheers
Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
How long does it take to set up boot camp? You have to own an outright copy correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perspective Visuals

flyalan

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
Not long. Use the bootcamp assistant. Yes you will need a valid windows license for the version you install.  Be sure to allocate at least 30mb or so for the windows partition.

Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »
Ok got the HC3XS mounted and the Spectrum DSMX receivers plugged in.
How do you bind it? Is there a bind plug?
Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »
Found the binding on page 5.  Looks like its in the software.

Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 07:06:14 AM »
First off, buying boxed helis gets you into the hobby but spoils you a bit! Went through the setup wizard which worked well. Everything is up and moving in the correct direction and centers set up.  Very cool!!

The radio was a little odd and this comes form downloading Blade programs. I have never set up a helicopter program from scratch. So the throttle hold and Flight mode setting were not there. 

I may have to hit you guys up for some assistance with the radio set up.
I studied how the program for how the blade 450 used its throttle, pitch and hold setting and programed them in.  Seems like my governor channel is moving all over the place not sure if I need a governor channel with the Kontronik 120 HV? Mode 4.

I set the radios flight mode(idle up) settings up to match Mr. Mels head speed calculator.
Using normal mode ending at 75% throttle. F1 set at 65%(2073 head speed) throttle strait across and F2 set at 75%(2198 Head speed) throttle strait across. Skipping the max governor setting of 85% at 2322 head speed. Seems to much for my skill level to worry with the last setting.

I programed the DX8 Knob for the head gain and the left trim for the tail gain. Still need to spend more time in the last few tabs in the Helicommand program. Between setting up the radio and the HC3SX was food for thought for one nights work.

Still need to figure out what switch will work the inflight bail out mode and realize that I may loose a gain channel to another this. 

Next step for me is to go back and read up and go though everything again actually checking the mechanics for neutral and travel checks. Getting all the radio channels in the best configuration for the Helicommand.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:14 AM »
Isn't the governor mode the same this as the flight mode? Your selecting your idle up and depending on what throttle setting you input to the Kontronik will determine how this ESC governs? So I don't need a gov channel and reassign it to a switch for the bail out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perspective Visuals

flyalan

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »
You should not need a Channel for Gov. 
You will need to give up your head gain channel when you setup up bailout.
Do test flights without bailout to get your optimal head (and tail) gain set.  Then lock in that head gain number in the software and then setup the bailout.  Bailout required mixing of channels in my futaba radio to get the desired result on a momentary toggle. 
Not sure about the the DX8.

Cheers
Alan

Alan Butler
Team Synergy

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
Ok, second run on the programing accidentally erased my E7 model in the DX8! No big deal as in need the practice with the set up.

Went though the Helicommand setup again this time setting up the servos, swash and head for neutral.  Went very well.  As far as travels are concerned. Went with 12.0 deg pitch and 8 deg on the cyclic. Not sure what a good cyclic deflection is?

Noticed the travel in the radio didn't match the swash travel for cyclic. About half stick in any direction and the cyclic would be maxed out at 8 deg. Thinking that would have been a fun ride if not noticed.  Seems that I needed to select FLB Stabilization instead of Acro in the ridge tab. Moving the Initial response slider to 10 allowing the cyclic servos to travel with the cyclic stick on the DX8. 

Almost made a mistake adjusting the radio travels to try to get these cyclic and collective servos to move farther.  Big mistake as this needs to be done in the mixer tab with the collective, aileron, elevator travel sliders.

Final check for proper stabilization found that the elevator incorrect. Had to go back and switch the radio and the program reverse servos to get this corrected.

Noting do with the throttle in the Helicommand. Must be pass though and controlled by the radios settings?

Saved my work this time.

Any other pitfalls for this set up would be great to know.

Thanks Barry
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:54:57 PM by PerspectiveVisuals »
Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »
Liking the tools! Couldn't Use the neutral hole in the swash leveler due to the lowered KDE Head.
Perspective Visuals