July 02, 2024, 03:42:55 AM

Author Topic: Radios  (Read 12491 times)

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: Radios
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
Must... quit... reading...
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Radios
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
Me too. Here I am completely satisfied with my radio and Alan has to come along and try all the new stuff. Darn you Alan! Haha. The DS-16 does look sweet with all it's features.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

flyalan

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »
Sorry.  You all should know by now I try just about everything at some point.  No not a GOBLIN :o

I did get the first flights on the DS-16 today.  Wow!  The telemetry is so nice.  I had it call out a warning at a specified MAH use point.  Set it at 2800mah (on a 3300 pack).  It also can read out just about anything you like.  Voltages on both the receiver and main packs.  Signal strength of the receiver/transmitter. 

The radio felt really nice but I did go back to using a neckstrap.  Not complaining.  The smoothness of the gimbals is purely amazing.  I felt very connected to the hell.  I personally could not feel much difference as compared to the 14SGH in that aspect but again the gimbals are much smoother. 

Setup was relatively painless.  I did need to go in and recalibrate the endpoints on the Scorpion ESC. Other than that is is very similar to using SBus on the Futaba.  The stock channel assignments are a little different but that can be changed in the radio. 

This will be a keeper!

Cheers
Alan

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »
The telemetry is so nice.  I had it call out a warning at a specified MAH use point.  Set it at 2800mah (on a 3300 pack).
That seems like a useful telemetry parameter to follow and have alarmed.  The Spektrum telemetry is much limited in this regard.

...I did go back to using a neckstrap.
I currently do not use the neck strap on my transmitters because I don't like the metal hook scratching the screen.  However, with the design of the DC-16 and DS-16 with the screen display on above the hook, I would most likely go back to using a neck strap.

Other than that is is very similar to using SBus on the Futaba.
So, if understand correctly, the DC-16 and/or DS-16 are compatible with current FBL units to include the VBar, similar to using the Futaba S-Bus.  Cool.  I'll give those transmitters a closer look.

flyalan

Radios
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »

Other than that is is very similar to using SBus on the Futaba.
So, if understand correctly, the DC-16 and/or DS-16 are compatible with current FBL units to include the VBar, similar to using the Futaba S-Bus.  Cool.  I'll give those transmitters a closer look.

Yes. Any FBL unit that will accept ppm input will work with the one line input.  Or using traditional servo connections.
On the CGY750 you would need the SBE-1 PWM adapter.

They also make some very nice folding Ned strap brackets that mount to the bottom of the radio and would allow the use of a double ended neck strap or harness.

Cheers
Alan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:38:28 PM by flyalan »

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »
Man, didn't think you would go back to the strap.  I finally got to fly the E5 with my new radio, same thing I felt more connected.  It seems like the reactions were immediate, didn't realize spektrum felt like a delay.  Case in point, did aileron tic tocs and it felt like I could keep it in the air for the whole battery if I wanted to.  For some reason or another with the dx7s, I would lose altitude. And I am using the same pitch/throttle curves, same electronics.  Next is to start reading up on telemetry because it already has the voltage telemetry included. But the rain has come back so it may not happen today.  Time to compose and then get on the sim!
How long has Jeti been around?
Greg
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

flyalan

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »
The DC-16 (larger radio) has been around for a while.  The DS-16 has the same basic electronics and software with a little more ergonomic case.  Yes I thought I was done with the neck strap but actually it felt pretty good today. 
I think the think I like the most about the DS-16 is just the feel of the case.  It is about as thin as the 8FG.  It's as much about how the radio feels in your hands as anything.

Cheers
Alan

Offline BrianE

• Field Representative
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »
Man, didn't think you would go back to the strap.  I finally got to fly the E5 with my new radio, same thing I felt more connected.  It seems like the reactions were immediate, didn't realize spektrum felt like a delay.  Case in point, did aileron tic tocs and it felt like I could keep it in the air for the whole battery if I wanted to.  For some reason or another with the dx7s, I would lose altitude. And I am using the same pitch/throttle curves, same electronics.  Next is to start reading up on telemetry because it already has the voltage telemetry included. But the rain has come back so it may not happen today.  Time to compose and then get on the sim!
How long has Jeti been around?
Greg

Greg -

Were you binding your DX7S using 22ms or 11ms? 
E7SE, Sliverline VBar, Edge 160HVf, Scorpion HKIII 4530, Futaba BLS, OptiGuard and BEC Guards

E5-626, Vbar NEO, Edge 120HV, Scorpion HKIII 4035, MKS 950/980 OptiGuard and BEC Guards

Offline BrianE

• Field Representative
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
Hs anyone looked at the Jeti DC-16? I have been considering it since its release. I wish there was a fly before you buy program:-)

Cheers
Alan

You were just a few days early Alan - they have a fly it before you buy it program now .  .  .  sort of:

http://file.espritmodel.com/newsletter/2013074/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-2013074
E7SE, Sliverline VBar, Edge 160HVf, Scorpion HKIII 4530, Futaba BLS, OptiGuard and BEC Guards

E5-626, Vbar NEO, Edge 120HV, Scorpion HKIII 4035, MKS 950/980 OptiGuard and BEC Guards

Offline RyanW

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
Alan- what component are you using that measures the power pack mAh used?

Thanks!
-Ryan
-Ryan

flyalan

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2013, 05:13:22 PM »
Yes.  Danny must have heard me....  He did give me a good deal on the radio and the subsequent receiver/esc order so I am not complaining and definitely not sending it back. My 14SGH will be up for sale at IRCHA for anyone interested.  But not until then.

Ryan-
On the first setup I used the Jeti MUI200 battery monitor.  This connects in line with the positive lead to the main battery (in series) for the amperage readings.  There is also another lead that connects across the battery to sense voltage.
This unit plugs into the sensor port of the Jeti receiver.  The data is then sent to the transmitter and is available for display, Alerts or audio readout. In addition to that you get the receiver pack voltage and a signal strength of both of the antennas on the receiver.  Nice feature.

I do have a Jeti Mezon 120A 8S ESC which has all of this built in.  This is being installed in the E5 this week.  I also ordered the Jeti Mezon 130A 12S ESC which should be here tomorrow.  That will go in the E7.  Again using the Jeti ESC will eliminate the extra sensor. 

Cheers
Alan

Offline RyanW

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
Cool, I have been using the built in one on the Kosmik, but looking for a solution on the smaller birds.
-Ryan

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »

[/quote]

Greg -

Were you binding your DX7S using 22ms or 11ms?
[/quote]

I actually tried both and honestly 11ms didn't feel that much different then 22ms.  Over the course of a year the transmitter was used for 9 different helicopters, and it felt the same each time regardless of 22 or 11ms.  The xg11 feels a lot more like the reaction time I get on the sim, immediate. 
From what I've heard Jeti is like that as well.
Greg
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline KevinM

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
I forgot to add my radio!! haha wait for it!......

Futaba 12FGH  yea thats right old school!  BUT..The sticks with quad bearings...like BUTTAH!  love the quad bearing.   Others are a bit scratchy...now I'm spoiled would be really difficult to switch.

....If I were to go JR/spektrum?  Old school again.....9503 hands down..best feeling JR ever IMO.

flyalan

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »
Update on the Jeti.  Liking this radio more each time I fly it. ;D
The telemetry is awesome as well as the ability to view it on the radio in graph form immediately.
I am using the milliamps used as my primary means for flight time.  It is very consistent and give me max flight time regardless of how hard I am flying.
The ability to adjust the ESC from the radio is very nice.  I had hurriedly installed the Mezon esc in my E7 and forgot to check the rotation direction.  I was able to change the rotation direction right from the radio standing at the flight line. 
The built in ESC in the Mezon has been very reliable.  10A continuous/15A burst.  I do keep a Scorpion BUG on board just in case.  The ESC also sends telemetry back to the radio including amp draw and voltage.
The gimbal are "as smooth as butta".  Programming has been pretty painless and from what I hear Jeti is close to releasing an update that will make that even easier.

Cheers
Alan