June 24, 2024, 07:12:10 AM

Author Topic: Very small tail wag  (Read 2284 times)

Offline stevehof

Very small tail wag
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
Most of my recent experience is with Align ships and torque tubes. My 600 EFL Pro has the most locked in tail I've ever had. So, maybe I'm a bit spoiled. My E7 has some tail wag at hover. Maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch or less. It is not constant and seems to come and go a bit but it is present about half the time I'm hovering. Maybe it's tied to collective stick movement.

My setup is Hacker 470KV 14T pinion, CC 110HV on set RPM at 1900, 2000 & 2100 rpm. The BLS 251 tail servo horn is in the last hole of the Futaba 4 arm horn and the Vbar numbers are right around 100 for travel and I'm not over-traveling the slider. Vbar rudder gyro is about 80-85. The mechanical tail control parts feel smooth and easy to me. I started with Gov gain at 8 and if I move it down to 1, I can significantly reduce the wag but not entirely get rid of it. I don't think running the gov gain at 1 is a good option in the long run. Belt tension is certainly not on the loose side, although I have tried it a bit looser with no difference in wag.

Is it unreasonable to expect a belt drive tail to be as locked as a torque tube? My Compass 6HV, also belt drive, did this same kind of wag although it was much worse. The tail control on that ship was not good with plastic hinges and metal pins for pivots.

My friend Ray Nemovi built the E7 airframe and I did the mechanical and electronic setup. I supplied him with some silicone spray and he assured me that he used it on the belt. The ship has maybe 15-20 flights on it now.  Would it be worthwhile to give the belt another silicon bath? Suggestions and comments welcome. I'd sure like this beauty to hold the tail still when hovering.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:02:40 PM by stevehof »

Offline Duck Head

Re: Very small tail wag
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
You are correct to think that it should have no wag, especially with the belt. I would try more silicone spray and also make sure that your boom supports are glued in well if not pinned. Just a little movement here can cause some wag in the tail.
Team Synergy
Team Voltz
Team Tammies Hobbies

Offline stevehof

FIXED
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »
Greasing the tail thrust bearings did the trick. The tail is now fine. I overlooked the obvious because I thought my builder had taken care of that. We were in a big a hurry to get the airframe built and we weren't communicating.

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »
Glad to hear that you have found and fixed your problem. Thanks for sharing your solution.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline Duck Head

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
I'm glad to here you found it. Also thanks for sharing, its really nice when the solution is actually posted.
Team Synergy
Team Voltz
Team Tammies Hobbies

Offline Robert Sinsky Jr

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
Hey guys I'm new at this stuff but I also have an E-7 and I love it even though i'm not that great of an pilot. I'm using the Futaba 750 and after 15 flights the tail was still rock solid. Mind you I can't do all the crazy stuff and can't wait until I can. On the 16th flight it was dead calm wind nice and sunny late afternoon and low and behold it started. At first I thought it might be the warm temp, changing sensativaty but after scratching my head I grabed my tain output shaft and it was sliding back and forth. The set screws in the tail pulley came loose and when I had done a once over that was one thing I didn't. So in closing that will cause it also.