September 28, 2024, 09:23:48 PM

Author Topic: Jesus Bolt failure  (Read 1573 times)

Offline cyprusflyer

Jesus Bolt failure
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »
Well I did listen to the advice and just take up slack in the Jesis bolt (100-325A), not tighten hard at all, in fact I have had the E7 for over 2 years still going strong and no problems with Jesus bolts etc.

Had a lucky escape today, landed to tweak the engine, spooled up and the heli did a Pyro on the ground!
Cut to investigate and when picking up the heli felt play on the main shaft, missing Jesus bolt, found next to the heli less the broken off nut part, must have broken then fallen out when I spooled down, no other damage.

When I tried to remove the shaft it was siezed to the OWB sleeve, ended up having to dimantle all the bearing blocks, servos out the lot to remove the shaft and gear etc, PITA, 3 hours work to get it back to the point where I could sort out the initial problem.
Managed to free the sleeve with a little applied violence with hammers and blocks of wood etc, the shaft had a groove where the top part of the sleeve had cut into the main shaft a little.

Cleaned up the sleeve bore with emery paper so that it slides onto the main shaft again and have a spare shaft so OK there.
Main problem is getting hold a spare Jesus Bolt, no one is stocking them in UK after all this time, outrageous.

Found another M3 shouldered bolt from Mikado, longer but I cut to length, the shoulder was about 1mm too long so that the nut would not take up all the slack so filed 2 M3 washers to fit into the square slot of the tail gear assy and, now the shouldered part is just right taking all the torque forces, the threaded part is not under any stress.

My question therfore: does the "special" notation refer to the bespoke shoulder length? Or is there any special heat treatment used to make the bolt more reilient????
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:11:42 AM by cyprusflyer »
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline cyprusflyer

Re: Jesus Bolt failure
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:05:40 AM »
Got it back together OK, confidant that the new bolt will be fine.
I think I know what is going on here, my N7 went a bit lean last flight and running a bit rough so that the tail was twitching, therefore the engine was loading and unloading quickly causing stress on the Jesus bolt when it snapped.
The torque load is causing a slight bending motion on the bolt, the piece I found showed evidence of that, therefore if it is done up tight, the slight bending motion causes great stress as we are effectively lengthening the bolt and it will break!
So I have taken up the slack and loosened quarter of a turn to allow for that, fingers crossed.
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 06:38:57 AM »
Once I had a jesus bolt failure, only the problem was during the flight following a botched auto where the blades hit the ground pretty hard. Anyway the following flight started out fine but then no power, why? the engine was running fine, autoed down to find the jesus bolt failed.  Therefore I know it was my mistake.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
Just for info, looked into the Jesus bolt specs on my TDR that holds up to 10kw + of power, the bolt is made from 10.8 steel, designed to bend a little rather than snap suddenly like 12.9 grade steel that the harder bolts are made of but it is M4 and not M3 as we have here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:19:12 PM by cyprusflyer »
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR