April 29, 2024, 03:01:20 AM

Author Topic: What lube is recommended for the starter clutch one-way?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Rctintin

What lube is recommended for the starter clutch one-way?
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
Guys, are you washing out the grease and just using light oil in your clutch one-way bearing?

This is how I have always done mine, and just used triflow oil on it, but a good friend of mine has had issues with his slipping, and that's been prepared in the same way.

Or, are you just leaving it how it comes from the factory, and no issues?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:56:32 AM by Rctintin »
Rob Bingham

Offline FlamingHomer

Re: What lube is recommended for the clutch one-way?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:34:01 AM »
I fly my one way bearing out of the factory and it works well!
My first one was slipping in cold conditions. This was the first out of the first n7 batch.

Cheers chris

Offline Dan Minick

• Field Representative
  • Team FBL Rotors---Formerly Dyecocker1
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »
I fly mine from the factory with the "grease" in then tri flow after that. You should also remember less is more. To much oil can cause problems also!
Dan Minick

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:43:20 AM »
I clean mine with alcohol. Submerge it in the bottom of a styrofoam cup, give it a shake and spin a shaft in the one-way while submerged and shake it some more. Dry it out with compressed air, add just a drop of light tri-flow oil and spin the shaft in it to work the oil around. Good to go.

Offline troasb

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »
As I am not a very experienced helicopter pilot, just from 2010, I only have this experience: I have had no one-way bearing failures (also in sub-zero condititons) and I have hardly used any oil or grease on the bearings. But I have over 10 years experience of using one-way bearings in rc-cars, and it was when it got wet we had problems, then the quick remedy of a slipping one-way bearing was to pour on son WD-40 or similar. After that the one-way bearing had to be discarded. We found out that lubricating the one-way bearings should be kept to a minimun and only use light oils. Especially if we were racing during the winter with sub-zero conditions (only off-road) it could be necessary to remove the original grease and replace it with light oil.