April 28, 2024, 06:39:33 AM

Author Topic: Clutch Stack Bearing Block (Remove Bearings)  (Read 1337 times)

Offline colemn615

Clutch Stack Bearing Block (Remove Bearings)
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:03:33 AM »
During the process of upgrading my clutch to the new version I found out that the lower bearing on the clutch stack bearing block somehow got messed up (bottom half of the casing that cover the ball bearings broke into pieces). Luckily I have two extra bearings of that size in the drawer. Problem is I can't remove the dang thing. I have given it a lot of heat thinking that it was put in there with some red loctite.

Now I am thinking that it's a friction fit and was put in with a press. So how do I go about removing it?

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: Clutch Stack Bearing Block (Remove Bearings)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »
It's a slip fit, not press fit. So you need to get the bottom of the bearing block hot, use a small hammer and a flat head to gently tap the bearing out from the other side (you simply slide the spacer out of the way with the tip of the flathead. Be careful not to lose the spacer whe . You do this. Then, heat the other side up and tap it out with a 3/8" or 1/2" extension.

Clean the hell out of it and be sure the landings are perfectly clean and clear of debris.

Then heat it all back up and install the new bearings and spacer.

I like to install the bell and snug the pinion nut up while it's all still hot time be sure they seat perfectly.  Then pull the bell back out and lock tight everything and reinstall.

If that bearing was that bad, I bet that heli was all over the place vibrating huh?
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline colemn615

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 08:42:41 PM »
Well, I got it removed. Took a few tries with my heat gun and then a socket to get them out.

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
did you check the clutch bearing block for damage while it was apart? the landings should be perfectly smooth and no damage at all to any of it. if the bearing was in as bad of shape as you say, then I am sure that bearing got very hot (why it was so hard to remove also). if it ever locked up, you either damaged your pinion, or the bearing block and one of them needs to be replaced. the pinion should have an almost mirror finish on it, and the inside of the block the same way.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline colemn615

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:58:01 PM »
I can check tonight. I was planning on keeping the broken clutch and pressing out the bearing at a later date.

So I should probably re-iterate what was going on. I broke down the clutch assembly and the bottom bearing on the clutch stack bearing block (317-202) was missing the bottom cover plate. It's the seal I believe that covers the ball bearings. About 1/4th of it was missing. The bearing itself did not feel notchy in any way, the top bearing felt the same. I decided that I wanted to replace the bottom bearing just in-case because I was unsure as to what might happen if I kept using it.

What I believe probably happened was I tightened down the pinion nut to much and it caused some premature stress. When I reassembled it last night I did the same thing and I broke it back down double checked all was OK and then reassembled so that it's just snug and all is free moving.

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 08:10:20 AM »
ahh, ok, so the bearing didn't lock up. got ya. I was thinking it had locked up to cause that to happen.

ok, well as long as everything is smooth and spinning freely you are good to go bud! enjoy!
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos