April 29, 2024, 06:14:03 AM

Author Topic: Tail heavy 766  (Read 1645 times)

Offline J Anthony

Tail heavy 766
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:20:17 AM »
Hey guys,
     I'll soon be starting the build on my 766 and a good friend of mine is finishing his now. I've seen his through various stages of his build and it all looked great to me. He's attentive so everything is nice, neat and seemingly well placed. Problem is he's now having to add a good bit of lead weights to the nose of the 766 to get it to CG well. I'm troubled by this and hoping to find a way around adding dead weight to a great heli. I'll be building it as a standard 766 with Rail blades, Futaba HV Brushless servos, Vbar Neo (never tried Vbar), Kontronik 750 Comp motor, Kontronik Kosmik 160, Pulse 45C 5000mah packs. He's running the same packs I am and even pushing them forward off the tray way more than was safe he still couldn't get the proper CG without adding dead weight to the nose. I was planning on using a small buffer pack on the Kosmik so I guess I could go to a larger buffer pack if I need to but that's about the only idea I see. I saw nothing wrong with his build. Has anyone else run into this and if so can you offer some advice before I start this build? Thank you very much!

J. Anthony
tgdd@att.net
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:30:01 AM by J Anthony »

Offline dan-uk

Re: Tail heavy 766
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 12:47:37 AM »
I switched from TP packs to Gens Ace packs which were slightly heavier and cheaper (still good lipos though).  With the tray in the forward position, you can get a good CoG without the packs hanging off the tray very much.  Also the stock canopy is a tight fit and has to be pulled all the way up to align with the canopy posts, so it is a good idea to drill the canopy holes as far away from the nose as possible - pushing the canopy forward slightly.  Doesn't make a huge difference but every little bit counts :-)

Offline J Anthony

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 01:24:46 AM »
Good advice but as I purchased 2 12S stick packs at Joe Nall Week just for this machine I can't really afford to swap packs. I haven't even put connectors on these packs yet. Good info on the canopy. Thank you. Btw... what do you think of the new Gens Ace packs? Do they seem as good as they were when they were on the market before? I generally use Pulse and Glacier as I've had the best luck with those brands but I was hopeful about the new breed of Gens Ace.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:07:30 AM by J Anthony »

Offline dan-uk

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 12:40:32 AM »
I've had no issues with Gens Ace packs.  They don't puff out in the Thailand heatwaves.  I think I read somewhere that Pulse and Gens Ace are made at the same factory anyway.  Don't quote me on that though.

Offline Robert "Full" Montee

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:50:11 AM »
From YouTube videos it is clear that GensAce and Tattu are made by GrePow. https://youtu.be/9CgfOvv8Byk
This site lists some manfacturuer sources. http://theampeer.org/Learning-LiPo/Learning-LiPo.html
There are a lot of references to Pulse, and Glacier also being made by GrePow but I haven't found an authoritative source.

Robert "Full" Montee
Team Synergy / Team Futaba
https://robertstechlib.blogspot.com