April 29, 2024, 06:48:17 PM

Author Topic: 516 Build thread  (Read 1865 times)

Offline JJVWG

516 Build thread
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:02:13 PM »
Finished up my 516 build recently and figured I would create a thread to show it off and update on the maiden flight (planning for today) and any issues that may arise once i get it in the air. This is my first bigger electric build and first FBL heli so I'm sure ill have some questions regarding dialing in my Ikon 2 as I start putting flights on it. Only thing right now is I have the tail blade grips backwards so the pitch link is on the trailing edge of the blade. need to swap that around at some point but everything moves in the right direction so it shouldn't be an issue. Have a CG issue, nothing terrible but i will probably need to swap to the carbon tail boom to even it out.

- Jeff

Offline JJVWG

Re: 516 Build thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:10:26 PM »
Build Specs:
Rail 516 main blades
Zeal 85mm tail blades
Torq CL1208 cyclic servos
Torq BLS0704T tail servo
Hobbywing 120A platinum V4 ESC
Ikon 2 Flybarless controller
Spektrum SPM9745 receivers
Xnova 4020-1350 motor
Ovonic 6S 4500mah LiPo batteries
- Jeff

Offline Jay Fitts

• Field Representative
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:18:59 AM »
Congrats! Its an awesome heli you will probably notice right away how locked in and precise it is compared to a flybarred machine. Regarding your cg issue, you should have enough room under the canopy to slide the battery forward a bit more. Also move that receiver on your boom up towards the main frames. Im on the third hole back with the stock boom and cg is spot on.

Offline JJVWG

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 06:54:09 PM »
Congrats! Its an awesome heli you will probably notice right away how locked in and precise it is compared to a flybarred machine. Regarding your cg issue, you should have enough room under the canopy to slide the battery forward a bit more. Also move that receiver on your boom up towards the main frames. Im on the third hole back with the stock boom and cg is spot on.

very impressed with it, even though i only have 6 minutes of flight time so far! being that it was my first two flights , cold out, and havent really flown at all in the past year i took it easy but got some flips and tick tocs in to gauge performance. only flew it in normal (2300rpm and sport setting in ikon) and IU1 (2400rpm and acrobatic setting in ikon). without any changes to the ikon software it seems to fly great right off the bat. I think right out the gate i am going to set normal to the acrobatic setting and put IU1/2 to the 3D setting. Probably also going to up the headspeeds 100rpm in all flight modes. with the way the light was and just overall wanting to get a good feel for the heli on the first flights i didnt get to check headtracking and barely checked the tail gain. seemed to have a very slight wag at the recommended starting setting. I bumped it up a few points and it didnt get worse so next time i go out ill drop it down a bit. I am running 85mm tail blades so im sure that has something to do with it. tail authority felt great though, stops on a dime and didnt move one bit on a punch out. looking forward to more flights!

in regards to the CG issue, even on the very first frame hole with the battery as far forward as it can go it still doesnt balance out. the batteries im running weigh 605g. not sure how that compares to the typical batteries people run. I didnt notice anything while flying though. so im torn if a CF boom or heavier 5000mah battery would be better for the future.

Also, placed an order for a blade holder (forgot that, used to getting them with align kits) and some 6" satellite leads so i don't have all that extra wire bunched up to pick up contaminated signals from the servo wiring.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:58:10 PM by JJVWG »
- Jeff

Offline Jay Fitts

• Field Representative
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »
Sounds good! I just noticed that you are running 4500 pack where i am using a 5000 pack so that will of course be the difference. CF boom is a good idea. You could also try to move your pack slightly forward on the battery tray, it shouldn't need much. Congrats!

Offline JJVWG

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
https://youtu.be/ISjun1jrCoM

Got flights 3 and 4 in today. Really windy so didn’t bother with any setup changes, just wanted more stick time. First flight of the day I completely forgot about keeping off the sticks on takeoff with the FBL and almost put it in. Really need to start flying more now that I have this beast so I can get back to where I was skill wise.
- Jeff