June 28, 2024, 04:25:13 AM

Author Topic: TT Bearing Lube?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Gregor

TT Bearing Lube?
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
Accidentally got a little CA in one of the TT bearings which made for rough rotation. Using a chemical soak, I was able to get the CA out and free up the bearing.  But as you might expect, all the bearing lube has also been removed and needs to be replaced.  I have "The Greaser" and have been using that with good results on slower rotating firmly mounted bearings like on the main shaft and blade grips.  But for higher speed bearings, I am a bit concerned that the grease will cause to much drag, potentialy spinning the bearing inside the housing, or spinning the housing inside the tube.

Using the second bearing as a rough guide, it does not feel like there is much grease, if any as its very free moving.  Perhaps bearing oil would work better for this application?  I have some of the Scorpion bearing oil on hand.  Comments?

Lastly, when I removed the bearing from the housing, I noticed a small amount of what looked like CA inside the housing. As it makes sense that the housing would be glued to the bearing, I wondered if that was there from the factory.  Or was just more extra CA from my installation mishap?  During re-assembly, should the housing be glued to the bearing?

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: TT Bearing Lube?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »
Not sure about how the housing is attached to the bearing, probably snapped on. But I would not use oil in the bearing. Oil will last a few flights and not lubricate anymore. Use your greaser and regrease the bearing. The excess grease will seep out after one flight.
Team Synergy

Offline Gregor

Re: TT Bearing Lube?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
Thanks.  I also heard from a local Synergy rep (thanks Jamie) that his housings were not glued on.  Just snapped in.