May 10, 2024, 11:52:04 PM

Author Topic: Oh crap  (Read 9589 times)

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
Oh crap
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »
I wanted to change my headspeed really quick in CC and heard a weird sound.  I then realized I still had the blades in the blade holder.  Now the servos aren't moving.  I think it may be because they are warm, at least I hope so.  Please tell me I did not destroy these expensive a$$ servos!!!!  I will let them cool off and try again.  The helicopter was only plugged in for 30-45 seconds, no way that could ruin them already.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline BrianE

• Field Representative
Re: Oh crap
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
I wanted to change my headspeed really quick in CC and heard a weird sound.  I then realized I still had the blades in the blade holder.  Now the servos aren't moving.  I think it may be because they are warm, at least I hope so.  Please tell me I did not destroy these expensive a$$ servos!!!!  I will let them cool off and try again.  The helicopter was only plugged in for 30-45 seconds, no way that could ruin them already.

Ouch  :o
E7SE, Sliverline VBar, Edge 160HVf, Scorpion HKIII 4530, Futaba BLS, OptiGuard and BEC Guards

E5-626, Vbar NEO, Edge 120HV, Scorpion HKIII 4035, MKS 950/980 OptiGuard and BEC Guards

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
So let them cool off, plugged back in again. Now they are making a pretty loud noise.  What the hell?!!!  I will be highly upset if I paid this much for these servos and they are toast with only 2 1/2 flights. 

www.inner3.com

Offline BrianE

• Field Representative
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
So let them cool off, plugged back in again. Now they are making a pretty loud noise.  What the hell?!!!  I will be highly upset if I paid this much for these servos and they are toast with only 2 1/2 flights.

If you stalled the servos for 30-45 seconds, I would expect some damage.  As evident by the noise they are making, I wouldn't fly them until they have been fully checked out by whomever made them.  But that's just my recommendation.
E7SE, Sliverline VBar, Edge 160HVf, Scorpion HKIII 4530, Futaba BLS, OptiGuard and BEC Guards

E5-626, Vbar NEO, Edge 120HV, Scorpion HKIII 4035, MKS 950/980 OptiGuard and BEC Guards

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Oh crap
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
Stalling them in that position for that amount of time may have fried them or at least damaged them. It doesn't sound like a longtime but having the blades in the holder is kind of an extreme angle.

I would (with the power off) move the servos back and forth, see if there's any clicking or grinding to be sure if there are any stripped gears.

I would also power it up normally with the motor unplugged and wiggle the sticks in all directions rapidly a bit to see if there's any stalling or slow movement coming from one or more servo and I would also probably try putting some pressure on the active servos with my hand to see if they give in to my hand pressure. Not FORCE my hand on them but just push lightly.

Those are all home tests and the only TRUE way to test is to send them in to the manufacturer for testing.

If you don't get symptoms from the home tests you can try a test flight in a safe manner but I wouldn't recommend it, I would recommend sending them in.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:06:45 PM by Brandon Bartolomucci »
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
They won't move.  So I finally get in two flights today and already have to send in equipment without a freaking crash?  Sorry if you guys are hearing me pissed.  But I paid a lot for these because they were recommended and now I'm probably going to be grounded for who knows how long.  Just pisses me off.

www.inner3.com

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
I have done that same thing several times; plugging in the battery with the blades still on the blade holder.  No damage to my servos that I can tell, but I usually catch it within a few seconds.

I have since incorporated this crucial step in my written Pre Flight Check List.  Invariably, I tend to make silly mistakes when I don't check the list.

Best of luck with the servos.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »
It only happened because I just got the blade holder tonight.  I took the E5 out of the bag to change my headspeed and then I heard the sound.  Just having a very rough start to the year and this doesn't help any.  Finally felt pretty good today after the flight, now feel like garbage.  Time to see how good Futaba's customer service is. 

www.inner3.com

Offline RyanW

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »
I think a lot of us have accidentally done this at one time or another, but it is usually not more than 2 or 3 seconds at the most. If it was 30-45 seconds, I am sure there is some serious damage. It is like putting a nitro heli at full throttle with the head in a vice. It will only run for so long before destroying the clutch and other parts.

Wish it wasn't that way, but we have really strong servos and robust control systems now, so the lid was pretty much ripped of the bottle of magic smoke.

Please let us know what happens with Hobby Service at Hobbico (Futaba). I would love to hear a success story!!!
-Ryan

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
Futaba said to send them in.  But before I do that my hobby shop wants to give them a call because they said most likely they can get something to happen faster through them.  Maybe Futaba will send them new servos and then they will send in mine.  hope that happens, i would be very happy.  If not, at least it will probably be fixed before spring.   :(

www.inner3.com

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
Glad to know that both Futaba and your LHS are being responsive and providing good customer service.

Best of luck

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
Went by the hobby shop and they want me to bring them in and they will expedite some new servos in and then send mine back in. At least I think that is the plan.  So I may get back in the air sooner than I thought!  Good thing is it might rain the next few days so in my mind I'll think those days were no flying days anyways.  Hope this works.  I felt better this morning going to work when I realized that by March I should be flying so this little blunder will be long past. I'll never make that mistake again!

www.inner3.com

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
That's great that they're taking care of you like that.  Sometimes, mistakes in this hobby can be very expensive.  I made one a couple of months ago that burned up my ESC and motor.  I can guarantee that it's a mistake that I won't repeat!
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »
So what did you do?  It almost seems like servos are the most costly component because you have to use so many.

www.inner3.com

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »
So what did you do?  It almost seems like servos are the most costly component because you have to use so many.

A motor and ESC aren't exactly cheap components to fry, either.

http://synergyrchelicopters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1102.0

Rodney

Team Synergy