June 23, 2024, 02:58:38 PM

Author Topic: I'm thinking of getting another E5 kit -- I have a few questions  (Read 5010 times)

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Boring route configuring the E5
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 09:57:21 PM »
It's just that the E5s is working out so well.  I'll just use the same electronics, but on a single 6S setup.

1) Motor:  The KDE-530 is working really well on my E5s.  So I got the KDE-1100 for this E5.
2) ESC:  It seems that even with the worst current spikes, the EDGE 120HV should do well.
3) Servos:  I went with the same Futaba BLS255HV/256HV's.  They are working really on the E5s, and Matt recommends them on the manual.  I wanted to try the MKS HBL950/980's that I have on my Whippy, but I am concerned about having to add shims.  I just went with what works.
4) FBL unit:  VBar Silverline.  Again, same as the E5s.

It's boring, but gets the job done.   :)

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: I'm thinking of getting another E5 kit -- I have a few questions
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »
I don't see anything boring, at all, about having a setup that's going to work really well.  In fact, I could use some boring helicopters, LOL.
Rodney

Team Synergy

flyalan

I'm thinking of getting another E5 kit -- I have a few questions
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 04:54:58 AM »
Nothing wrong with using a proven setup.
If you are bored you could always try using a different brand battery than you normally do.
I finally tried some Gens Ace packs and like them (4400's). I normally use TP. I want to try Pulse next.
I didn't see any mention of receiver/servo power choice. Are you planning a 2s lipo since you went with HV servos?
I used regular servos and a gryphon BEC and scorpion backup guard. Works great.

I agree on parting out as an option to liquidate the fleet. I have sold several helis in HF and RR and I think only once did I sell a whole RTF bird.

Cheers
Alan

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »
The "bored" comment was more of a tongue-in-cheek.   :D  I still have to figure out how to better convey my thoughts in writing.   :o

1) Battery.  I have a bunch of 6S 5A batteries.  Two tired 40C Zippy's, three older but well functioning 40C blue Turnigy's, six barely used 45C Pulse Ultra's, and two brand new 65C TP's.  Still, I may end up sucking it up and purchase some 4.4A batteries to cut down on weight.  It's only money.   :D

2) I plan on using the CC BEC Pro at 7.5V.  I have not had a brown-out with the BEC Pro even on the Whippy running the power hungry MKS 950/980 servos, so hopefully I'll be OK.  Although I have considered a separate pack to run the electronics, I feel that I am more likely to have a failure from forgetting to charge the 2S pack than a failure due to a BEC malfunction or brown-out.

3) I plan on using the VBar Silverline with two DSMX sats that I'll cannibalize from either the T550 or T600Pro.  The DX8/DSMX sats combination has worked well for me so far, so it's unlikely that I will switch to Futaba or another transmitter in the near future, but I am open to suggestions.  I hate to just save money when it's much more fun to spend it foolishly.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  Now all I need to do is build up my upper body strength to get ready to pull the new E5 kit spindle shaft screws.

flyalan

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 08:03:11 AM »
The "bored" comment was more of a tongue-in-cheek.   :D  I still have to figure out how to better convey my thoughts in writing.   :o 

I knew that and was just playing along  ;D
I do like a little variety myself and like trying new things. I am putting together a 500 size MD500 this week to play with next :) Well at least until my N5C parts come in and I can finish the rebuild :o .

Cheers
Alan

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
Awesome.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
Hope you have the setup going now.  I would get the rail blades.  Best by far to me.  But as Chris said, maybe wait until you get a blade scrape of the radix before buying something new.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com