September 28, 2024, 03:15:21 PM

Author Topic: Vbar gov gain with Castle ICE HV ESC?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline stevehof

Vbar gov gain with Castle ICE HV ESC?
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »
I'd be curious to know what governor gain you are using if your setup is Vbar gov and Castle ICE HV ESC w 4.02 firmware. Thanks!

Offline Darren Lee

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: Vbar gov gain with Castle ICE HV ESC?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Morgan Fuel

Offline wbfines

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »
Steven, did i start something? :)

Offline stevehof

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »
WB, this post topic was not prompted by you, not as far as I know...Lol.

I have been struggling with very fast tail blow outs for the last 3 weeks. The tail would swing violently 10 to 40 degrees and stop violently. I also had some cyclic glitches during this period. This, on a ship that had given me well over 200 trouble free flights as configured.

The Vbar event log was full of checksum errors. Checksum errors are frequently caused by static. It has been warm and dry here in So Cal for the last month. Anyway, I grounded the boom to motor mount with no positive result but when I grounded the motor mount to the negative battery lead on the ESC the errors and control glitches totally went away. I believe I have a properly grounded CF frame now...:^)

Previous to the last grounding effort, I had replaced every electrical component and wire in the entire ship, including the Vbar and motor with no help.  I'm pretty convinced that the helical gear was generating some static and for whatever reason it was finding it's way to my Vbar.

OK, it's been a long story so far. I asked about the gov gain because I noticed today that the bottom 1/3 of two main gear teeth are chipped away. I'm pretty sure all the violent tail hits did this damage but I wanted to make sure my 30 on the Vbar gain was reasonable. If Darren can use, 35, I suspect my gain of 30 did not cause the chipped gear teeth....

Offline wbfines

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »
I see.  From the beginning I applied Motul Tech Grease 300  to my gears with an old toothbrush.   I also coated my Torque Tube with silicone and inside of boom.  Only did that during initial install of the torque tube.  Usually pretty fair here in Indiana, had a very dry July.  Never had any checksum errors though.

Edit:  Reason I asked you about gain was because I seen several around 25-35.  Saw some around 12.  I think in Mr. Mels video of CC External Gov he mentions not running gain to high because of the CC response being quick. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:55:51 PM by wbfines »

Offline stevehof

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »
Greasing the gears was one of the first things I tried, including all of the bevel gears. I have another E7 outfitted identically, and the event log in that one has NO checksum errors. Neither did this one until a few weeks ago. So, I can't be sure where the static was coming from. Nor can I prove it was static. However, the complete grounding of the airframe up front did, without a doubt, remove ALL errors and put the ship back in happy flying land.

Offline wbfines

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
You are the first that i have seen have this problem. Good to know you have figured it out and at least you are back in the air.

Offline stevehof

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
There was a long thread on RunRyder in May discussing the possibility of static when using Delrin. At least one other E7 owner had a lot of checksum errors in his Vbar log until he grounded his boom. I don't think the static I was experiencing was from the boom area. In any case, running a ground wire from the ESC battery negative to the motor mount was a fairly quick fix and if that truly grounds the airframe, I think it may be worthwhile doing to every carbon fiber framed E ship running FBL. If someone can post a significant downside to doing this, I'd be very interested in hearing from them.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t696330p1/

Offline cyprusflyer

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »
It has long been my opinion.logic that grounding to the motor mount does nothing, my background is electronic engineering.
It is a fact that most motor manufacturers do a 1000v insulation test between the 3 phases and the motor metalwork.
So, the motor mount is not actually electrically connected (normally) to anything, unless your mount screws are too long and burrow through the varnish/insulation, another good checkpoint!
I have 2 belt driven logos, one with a rubbery belt, the 600 with a kevlar belt and both are grounded to the battery negative. No issues at all with static.
Trex 550E
Logo 500SE - 600SX
SynergyE7, N5C and N7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR