September 28, 2024, 03:19:17 PM

Author Topic: One Way Bearing Backwards in Hub?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Funky

One Way Bearing Backwards in Hub?
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
I recently purchased a new Synergy E7 kit. I was very impressed after flying a buddy's E7 so I bought a new kit for myself. While building it, I noticed If I bolt the auto hub to the maingear how it shows in the manual, the one-way bearing is spinning the wrong direction. Once fully assembled in the heli, while spinning the blades it will only free spin (like in an autorotation) if I spin the blades counter clockwise. If I spin the blades clockwise, the one-way engages and spins my motor with the blades. This is opposite of some of my other helis (Trex 450, 500, 550 and 600) which all spin the blades freely when turning clockwise. If I turn the motor in my Synergy counter-clockwise by hand to make the blades turn clockwise, the main gear just spins and will not turn the blades.  If I flip the hub over and install it upside down into the heli (hub bolted to the main gear from the opposite side that it shows in the picture) everything seems to work correctly. When installed this way, the bolts connecting the auto hub to the main gear are installed from the bottom of the gear instead of the topside in-between the two gears like it shows in the picture. Everything fits when I install it this way and I can get everything bolted together in the heli. It feels a bit stiff, but I am not sure if that is only because the heli is new and none of the gears have been broken in or flown (I also installed the TT kit instead of the belt assebly). I did lube the one-way which helped a bit but I am not sure if it is safe to fly the heli with the hub installed upside-down like this or if this is causing some of the friction I am experiencing when spinning the blades by hand. I think the one-way is press fit inside the hub although I haven't tried to remove it from the hub itself. Is there a problem with running the one-way hub assembly upside down on the main gear? Is the picture in the manual wrong or is my one-way just installed backwards?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty failiar with RC helis in general and have been flying for around 7 years. I own a few 90's although this is my first 700 size electric. I am pretty sure the one-way is installed the wrong way, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong  ;)

Offline wbfines

Offline Funky

Re: One Way Bearing Backwards in Hub?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:05:19 PM »
Sorry about that, I should have done a quick search before posting. Thanks for the quick reply, I'll leave it installed upside down.

Offline wbfines

One Way Bearing Backwards in Hub?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
No need to apologize. What forums are for :)