September 28, 2024, 05:24:41 PM

Author Topic: My E7 lowered head  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
My E7 lowered head
« on: January 13, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Following a thread started by someone on HF, mentioning a lowered head mod that Scott Cherry did, I decided to go ahead and give it a try when rebuilding my E7 after the last crash.  I made a hybrid E5/E7 rotor head.  I used an E5 main shaft and E5 washout arms.  I modified the E7 head block to be able to use the E5 washout arms.  First, I made some aluminum plugs and filled in the counter-bored holes where the clamping screws go in.  After plugging those counter-bores, I re-drilled the holes at 3.3mm for screw clearance.

Next, I drilled a 3.3mm hole for the Jesus bolt at 90 degrees to the original holes.  I drilled it level with the top hole so I could set it as low as possible.  I just went ahead and installed it just like the E5 setup.  I used some linkages that I had in my 6HV parts bin for the swash-to-blade grip linkages.

It's a nice calm, bright and sunny day today and it warmed up to a balmy 16 degrees F this afternoon so I went and maidened it with the new head setup.  So far, it seems really sweet!  6 minutes was about all I could stand so I came back in after one flight.  I'm going to charge up the batteries and go out one more time.  The first maiden was with some old SAB blades that I use for first flights after repair and I want to give it a go with the Rails on it.  Anyway, I think it came out pretty good.
Rodney

Team Synergy

flyalan

My E7 lowered head
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »

Looks good Rodney. How's the flip and roll rate? Any difference?

Alan

Offline JustinProud

Re: My E7 lowered head
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
Nice...

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »

Looks good Rodney. How's the flip and roll rate? Any difference?

Alan

It's been a while since I had flown it so I can't really be positive but it seemed quicker, to me.  If nothing else, it's a simpler setup since there is no phasing adjustment to worry about. 
Rodney

Team Synergy

flyalan

My E7 lowered head
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:50:29 AM »
Sounds good. I really like the new E5 head and plan on changing my E7 to those soon.

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »
I really liked the TT tail on the E5 so I went ahead and upgraded the E7 at the same time when I did this head mod.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
My E7 lowered head
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
This new heli I picked up yesterday has a lower head mod from KDE for the E7.

Perspective Visuals

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
I hear they make quality parts and at least you didn't have to pay the extra $75 for it.  I need to measure mine to be sure but I think I was able to lower it a bit farther than the KDE head does.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
My E7 lowered head
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:54:47 AM »
Not sure didn't even know there was a mod. Does look nice. Not sure it's going to make a difference for my current level of flying.

Perspective Visuals

Offline Chuck Bole

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:26 AM »
 I don't remember how much but the E7 Matt flew in the speed runs at IRCHA last year was lowered. Used the stock hub and mounted the E7 follower arms to it with 2 brass spacers used on the idler pulley from the belt drive tail. Him and Rob Cherry is where i stole the idea from.  ;) i shortened a E7 shaft to 30mm but after getting a E5 main shaft  (21mm shorter) and installing it i think i'll just run it like this. I had a KDE head block on mine but seemed to pick up a head shake at lower RPM that has went away when i put the stock hub back on it.

chuck
Team Synergy Field Representative / Thunder Power

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
Chuck is the "someone of HF" that I'm talking about in my first post.  ;D  I stole his idea that he stole from Matt and Rob Cherry, LOL.  The only difference in mine is that I used the E5 follower arms because I like the ball link adapter and ball link on it better than the one on the E7, it just looks a little cleaner.
Rodney

Team Synergy