September 28, 2024, 10:27:44 AM

Author Topic: cracks on two new main gears  (Read 1174 times)

Offline panz

cracks on two new main gears
« on: April 24, 2013, 05:30:27 AM »
Hi Guys,

I bought two new main gears from two different retailers, both of them have cracks on the holes to secure the auto hub assembly.

I managed to return and get refund for the first one and I'm trying to do the same thing with the 2nd purchase; this is a bit stressful as I've been waiting for a month and still don't have a main gear (and none of the local australian suppliers have  it in stock).

Has this happened to you? and just in case I can't get a non faulty main gear, any of you have a spare one that I can buy? cheers.

flyalan

Re: cracks on two new main gears
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:12:53 AM »
Hummm.  Never seen them cracked out of the package.  Those are the old style main gear BTW...  Not sure how long it's been since these were produced though. Cracking can occur due to over tightening of the hub screws.

If another solution doesn't come up I will be more than happy to ship you one from here (USA).  It will just take a little while.

PM me if it comes down to that or you want to go that route.

Cheers
Alan

Offline panz

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:21:15 AM »
Hummm.  Never seen them cracked out of the package.  Those are the old style main gear BTW...  Not sure how long it's been since these were produced though. Cracking can occur due to over tightening of the hub screws.

If another solution doesn't come up I will be more than happy to ship you one from here (USA).  It will just take a little while.

PM me if it comes down to that or you want to go that route.

Cheers
Alan

Thanks for the offer Alan! will PM you if I can't get it sorted. much appreciated.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
Wow, that's a bummer.  In that first picture, you can see the the hole on the bottom-left is also cracking from the far side of the gear.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
cracks on two new main gears
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
Looks stressed relieved form the machining process. Drilled to fast?
I drove mine in on the head and pushed this gear in to the carbon frame with no cracks to speak of.
Perspective Visuals