May 01, 2024, 12:00:50 AM

Author Topic: Clutch one-way bearing difficulty [Solved]  (Read 1477 times)

Offline bmclaurin

Clutch one-way bearing difficulty [Solved]
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »
Guys, I seem to be having a difficult time with the one-way bearing in my clutch assembly. Normally, the guys at my field would diagnose something like this in 10 seconds or less, but ive been traveling a lot lately, and havent been out there for them to have a look. Anyway, I recently replaced my clutch after about 50 flights, as I think the clutch stack was slightly misaligned, leading to premature failure of the clutch OWB. I have read all the tips and tricks on clutch stack alignment, and I think my newly installed clutch stack is aligned pretty well, judging mainly from the eyeball test as well as spinning the hex adapter by hand (which spins freely with no binding, rubbing, etc.). 

Anyway, with the newly installed clutch, it started and flew great for about 6 flights, but now I cannot get my Sullivan starter to spin the starter shaft. Instead, the Sullivan wand just spins inside its own one-way bearing, and the heli's starter shaft doesn't spin at all. I made a quick video to show you what I mean.

Now, after typing all of this, and going to the trouble to make this video, I'm starting to think that the problem is with my Sullivan starter wand. Perhaps the OWB inside the wand is bad?

Here is the video FWIW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: THIS IS NOW SOLVED. IT WAS THE SULLIVAN WAND, AS I SPECULATED. SEE 2ND POST BELOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XmLGz5t0s#
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:31:49 PM by bmclaurin »
Electric: Synergy E7SE, Synergy E5, Logo 600SX, Henseleit TDR
Nitro: Synergy N5c, Synergy N7

Offline bmclaurin

Re: Clutch one-way bearing difficulty
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
Never mind. It was the Sullivan starter wand. I just remembered that I have a spare Hirobo wand, and once I installed it, the heli started right up. Sometimes the solution is so simple, you just don't see it. Can't see the forest for the trees kind of thing.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:33:30 PM by bmclaurin »
Electric: Synergy E7SE, Synergy E5, Logo 600SX, Henseleit TDR
Nitro: Synergy N5c, Synergy N7

flyalan

Clutch one-way bearing difficulty [Solved]
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
Never mind. It was the Sullivan starter wand. I just remembered that I have a spare Hirobo wand, and once I installed it, the heli started right up. Sometimes the solution is so simple, you just don't see it. Can't see the forest for the trees kind of thing.

That was my thought only because I had the same problem recently. The one way in the wand was not engaging consistently.  Replaced mine also.

Cheers
Alan