September 28, 2024, 08:07:19 AM

Author Topic: Motor cooling times  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
Motor cooling times
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
Now that its summer, how long are you guys waiting in between packs?  I know times will vary according to the motor.  For instance, I'm running the scorpion 6s.  But temps during the day are between high 80s to high 90s.  Just want to get some comparison times.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Motor cooling times
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
As I best understand it, there is no cooling time necessary for either the ESC or the motor.  They should both plateau to the same temperature regardless of flying time or resting time.

It is also my understanding that peak temperature has to do more with (1) high ambient temperature, (2) high gearing, (3) low throttle, and (4) high pitch/throttle ratio.

Lipo battery cooling before being subjected to charging may be an issue, but I have not been able to find much credible information with reputable references on this issue.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »
So does that mean you are flying back to back packs?  I've heard that its not so great for the bearings in the motor to get to hot.

www.inner3.com

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
All other parameters being equal, the motor and ESC will plateau at a certain temperature.  Assuming the parameters don't change drastically between flights (ambient temperature, flying style, pitch curves, throttle curves, etc.), the ESC and motor plateau temperatures should remain roughly the same from flight to flight regardless of resting time between flights.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »
Anyone else with an opinion on this?  Definitely not saying you are wrong, but I've heard different opinions on this. Especially when you are in an environment when it is already near 100 degrees.

www.inner3.com

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
All last summer I flew many days when it was over 100 degrees.  Since I was on my lunch break, with not a lot of time, I would fly 4-6 packs back to back and never saw any problems from doing it.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Darren Lee

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »
I'm in the same boat as Rodney, back-to-back flights because of time restraints.  I see no issue with it and agreee with johnahamelv's explanation.
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Morgan Fuel

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
Great!  Even though I'm off, I still have some things to do during the day so when I have time to fly I need to go at it.  Good to know that I can do 4 packs back to back without any issues.  If something ever comes up I can always update motors!

www.inner3.com

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
I use a small 12v fan on the motor/esc for 3 min between flights.  Running it with a 2200 3s pack. Being a bit conservative,  as probably not necessary. :)
Team Synergy

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
That's a good idea.  If its not raining tomorrow I'll try back to back flights like I did during the winter.

www.inner3.com

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
It was around 100 today and I did two back to back, but took care of something else before doing a 3rd.  Guess i wimped out.  I still don't do super fast charging either though.

www.inner3.com

Offline Drew Robinson

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
I fly back to back if I don't have  alot of time, or bring two helis!! And alternate, I like to bring n5c and ether e5 or e7 and alternate.  If I am bringing one heli, its n5c...no charge just fill and fly
**Team Synergy**Team Scorpion**

flyalan

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »
I typically alternate between the E5 and E7.  Throw in a flight on the N5C if I get behind the eight ball on charging.  When the weather isn't quite s hot and I can swing by the field for a flight or two on the way home I lean to N5C for quickies  ;D

Cheers
Alan

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 12:53:28 AM »
I did 3 flights in a row today (maybe 86 outside) and the motor didn feel any hotter

www.inner3.com

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
I finally bought an IR temp gun.  I really want to see what kind of temperatures my Compass SZ 4926 is hitting because it feels freaking hot, even when it's not hot outside.  I'm also interested in seeing what the temps look like on my new CC Vertigo motor, on the E5.  Boredom, the internet, and a credit card sure can be a bad combination...
Rodney

Team Synergy