June 27, 2024, 07:28:16 PM

Author Topic: landing skids asembly  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Erutsyn

landing skids asembly
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
hello. is there a way to assemble the landing skids. Why some one came up  with this idia. how do you align the hols.  and 4mm does not feet .please help.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: landing skids asembly
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
To get the inserts lined up, I have a wire clothes hanger that I straightened out.  I can shove the inserts in and even rotate them to get the holes lined up.  I know other people also use long zip ties to do it.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
I like the Synergy skid mechanism better than my other brand helicopters.  Since the skid holes are pre-drilled, there is no guess work figuring out the proper alignment.

I use a toothpick to line up the 610-322 skid tube locks.

Your next issue may be inserting the 106-966 skid tube plugs.  I've had to reduce the diameter of the stem in all the plugs to be able to insert all the way into the skids.  Also, I've had mixed results securing them with CA.  I I've had consistently positive results with 5-min epoxy.

flyalan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
a 4-40 threaded rod or an old flybar will also work. The 4-40 rod will only thread in a thread or two but it's enough to work and much easier to find at you LHS.  Also the pointy end bamboo skewer works if your going to be at the grocery store  ;D

Cheers
Alan

flyalan

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »
The plugs are not an "issue".  Just have to know how to put them in  ;D

Cheers
Alan

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
Old flybar is the thing that works the best.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
What's a flybar?   :D

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
A flybar is used on non- FBL helis. They hold the paddles and act as a gyro. Ask guys who have been around for a while.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline Erutsyn

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
thank you . I managed to install it. Though it took me a wile.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
thank you . I managed to install it. Though it took me a wile.

It gets easier after you've done it a couple of times.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Scott Anderson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
I use 4-40 push rod, close one eye, cross both pinkie toes and bite my tongue and then if that didn't work I suggest phone a friend  :o

No really a flybar or push rod works great if you are just sliding them in without holding the threaded insert you will find it almost impossible to get in place.

When assembled and flying you'll notice that the skid tube will most likely never rotate hook down anymore ;)
Field Representative

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 10:12:15 AM »
I've had to replace mine so many times I've gotten to the point where I only install the inserts and secure the tubes to the rear struts and I let the front ones just float.  Yeah, I've had a lot of rough "landings"...
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Scott Anderson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 10:16:37 AM »
I've had to replace mine so many times I've gotten to the point where I only install the inserts and secure the tubes to the rear struts and I let the front ones just float.  Yeah, I've had a lot of rough "landings"...

I feel your pain lol
Field Representative

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
I'm pretty proud of the fact that, in just over a year, I have experienced just about every different way one can crash a helicopter... LOL.  I'm just going to call it experimenting.  Yeah, it's obscenely expensive but sometimes the results are pretty spectacular. 

In fact, just yesterday, I was flying my E5 after just having re-assembling it from the last crash.  On the first flight I kept hearing a kind of hollow sound like maybe the canopy was rubbing somewhere.  I landed, swapped the flight pack, and took off again (after checking the heli out) without the canopy to see if that was the noise.  It sounded and was flying great.  I did a piro-flip and about the time the nose was pointed straight down the helicopter just exploded like it had been hit with an anti-helicopter round.  Turns out I didn't have the battery strap cinched out tight enough and my 4400mAh 6S battery went right through the main rotor disc.  It was pretty awesome to see.  I'm not going to lie, though... it was a little depressing considering how great it was flying.  ;D

On the plus side... my landing skids and struts all survived in tact!
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Scott Anderson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
Been there done that... Glad to see your skid's held up  8)
Field Representative