May 01, 2024, 12:54:21 AM

Author Topic: Problem with Castle Phoenix 120 HV or Scorpion 4025-1100KV?  (Read 6686 times)

Offline copenhagen

Problem with Castle Phoenix 120 HV or Scorpion 4025-1100KV?
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
I want to start this off by saying that I have never set up a Castle ESC before.  Anyhow, I cannot get my ESC to run my motor.  It makes some odd beeping when it receives throttle and does nothing.  Then after awhile it will start going beep beep beep.

Anyhow, here is how I have my ESC set up:

I took some pictures of my wiring so ya'll can let me know if I am stupid and did something upside down

I took pictures of the bullet connectors unplugged and plugged just to try to show the heat shrink better.  They are all filled with solder.

I unplugged all the servos from my 450X and used the BeastX to attempt to make the Castle ESC run the Scorpion with the same result.  It should be noted that I spent the entire afternoon trying to get the governor mode in the V-Bar pro software to work before I tried to just flat ass get the motor to fire up using the Castle governor and disabling the V-Bar governor..and still no dice.

I have no idea what is wrong.  I do not know rather to call Castle or Scorpion.  As you can see, I've been tearing apart my helicopter checking out wiring.

For what it is worth, my BEC powers the VBAR and servos just fine.  I also get beeps from my motor- just no rotation.  Finally, I am using a DX8 and 2 DSMX sats bound at 11ms (an odyssey in and of itself).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Problem with Castle Phoenix 120 HV or Scorpion 4025-1100KV?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Have you calibrated the Castle ESC using your DX8 Throttle channel Travels?  Since you have the Castle Autorotation box checked, the DX8 throttle Travels should end up around 88 for high and 120 for low.

Also, it is more common to use the "Set RPM" under "Settings for Governor Mode"  and choose your three desired RPM's in the boxes to correspond to the 30%, 70%, and 100% flat throttle curves.  Of course, you only set this after going through the calibration mentioned above.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:07:21 PM »
I would start by disabling the governor in both the VBAR and the ESC and use fixed endpoints.  The first thing you have to do is calibrate your throttle endpoints.

Castle Quick Tip- Throttle Calibration.wmv

I haven't used a VBAR, but I'm sure one of the other guys will chime in if there is any special order of doing things when you set it up.  I do know that you're going to want to get your standard fixed endpoints calibrated, first, most likely.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
It is my understanding that with the newer firmwares, you don't need to set the "Throttle Type" to "fixed end points" when performing calibration.  Clint reassured me that you can now calibrate using any "Throttle Type" (governor, external governor, fixed end points, etc.).  The only stipulation is that you first need to decide whether or not to check the Autorotation box prior to performing the calibration, as the low number will end up very different.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
I'm paranoid, LOL.  After what I went through to get the governor set up on the SK540 with my CC Ice2, I seem to end up calibrating the throttle endpoints 2 or 3 times every time I set it up.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.   :D

Look what I found today during a routine preflight inspection.

That could have gone pretty bad.  Now I am paranoid!

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
Sweet Jebus, that made my motor work.  I thought there must be something I was missing.   Thank ya'll so much.   Now I just have to figure out how to get the external .gov in vbar set up and we'll be g2g.

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »
If your goal is to use the VBar governor, you may have to redo the hole calibration process with the VStabi software.  Depending on where you are with your skill level and how much one-on-one help you have around you, you may just try the Castle governor for now, and see how you like it.  You'll eventually go the the VBar governor, but it would be nice to compare it to the Castle governor.

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »
I just got the V-Bar governor to work.  I didn't really understand the whole arming process.  It doesn't seem like it was covered very well in the directions.

I don't have any one on one help- it's a one man show out here in Pickens, SC, but mjburberry, a team Synergy pilot from this forum who I had the pleasure to meet at the extravaganza, has been a tremendous help to me.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:15:38 AM »
That's great that you got it working!

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk 2

Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
Yes, I am glad it was something silly.  I only wish I had figured that out before I started tearing the wiring apart double checking everything.  LOL, I spent last night until 1 re-doing all my wiring.  Anyhow, I upgraded to velcro underneath the vbar so if I have to do it again it is easier to get out.