July 04, 2024, 04:32:13 AM

Author Topic: KDE 600XF-1100 shaft flat spot  (Read 1473 times)

Offline mfremont

KDE 600XF-1100 shaft flat spot
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »
Tonight I attempted to install a KDE 600XF-1100 in my E5, but I found that the with the pinion positioned to engage the main gear, the set screw for the pinion ends up just a little past the factory-machined flat spot. By my measurement, the flat spot needs to extend another ~4mm towards the motor (i.e. closer to the motor mount).

In the attached photo I've tried to line up the pinion to show where the set screw is along the shaft when the pinion is positioned at the right height to engage the main gear. There's a little bit of parallax in the shot, but hopefully you can get a sense of what I'm seeing.

Has anyone else found the same? Did you grind the shaft with a dremel to make a longer flat spot that will line up with the set screw?

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
Re: KDE 600XF-1100 shaft flat spot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »
Interested to hear how this is done with out getting metal contamination on all the magnets.
Perspective Visuals

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »
Interested to hear how this is done with out getting metal contamination on all the magnets.
The best way is to put the motor in a plastic sandwich bag and then poke the shaft through the bag prior to grinding/filing.  You can also use some masking tape around the base of the motor shaft where it sticks out through the hole.

Sent from my MotoX via Tapatalk2
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline mfremont

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »
The best way is to put the motor in a plastic sandwich bag and then poke the shaft through the bag prior to grinding/filing.  You can also use some masking tape around the base of the motor shaft where it sticks out through the hole.

Yep, that's what I've done in the past when the factory shaft had no flat spot. In this case I might remove the brass collar just to provide a little more room to seal the bag around the shaft since the flat spot needs to extend nearly all the way to the collar.

I've done a reasonably neat job in the past, but to match the precision of the factory flat spot requires a machine shop.

I know that nobody will see it except me...

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
I too had to extend the flat spot closer to the motor on the KDE 600XF-1100.  Unfortunately, the lower flat spot did not line up with the factory flat spot, so it does not look as pretty.  I also had to cut the shaft a little shorter to give it more clearance with the LiPo pack.

I too use the sandwich bag and tape around the shaft to protect the motor magnets from metal shavings.

Of note, the KDE 600XF-530 motor shaft comes with a longer factory flat spot, so not extension of the flat spot is required.  I use this motor on my E5 stretch.

Offline mfremont

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
I too had to extend the flat spot closer to the motor on the KDE 600XF-1100.  Unfortunately, the lower flat spot did not line up with the factory flat spot, so it does not look as pretty.  I also had to cut the shaft a little shorter to give it more clearance with the LiPo pack.

Hadn't looked at that clearance yet, but I did notice that the shaft protruded a bit through the counter bearing block. Thanks for pointing that out!

Of note, the KDE 600XF-530 motor shaft comes with a longer factory flat spot, so not extension of the flat spot is required.  I use this motor on my E5 stretch.

Good to know. Did you also need to trim the shaft on the -530?

Thanks!

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »
I did not cut the shaft on the KDE 600XF-530, but it may be a good idea to cut it shorter to protect the batteries in a bad crash.

This is the clearance I get with a 6S 45C 3300mah Pulse Utra pack.

For completion, this next picture shows the clearance when using a 6S 5000mah pack.  Too close for comfort.

For both KDE 600XF motors, I am using  four anchoring bolts (M4 x2 and M3 x2).

Offline rmarlan

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
What is the best way to extend the flat?  When using a dremal it is never really totally flat since the grinding disk is curved.  I would think files will not work well since it is hardened steel.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
Bob  ;)

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »
On using a dremel tool with a sanding wheel. If you're holding the tool perpendicular to the shaft while you're grinding, you will create a flat surface.  You will have a  radius at the end of your flat.  It will look something like this:

Rodney

Team Synergy