April 29, 2024, 08:25:04 AM

Author Topic: What alloy is used in the E7?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Ivanstein

What alloy is used in the E7?
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:38 PM »
Thinking about sending some of my spares to my cousin who does powder coating. Because that necessarily has heats that can change tempers in aluminum, I was wondering if there is any info on which alloy is used in the E7 and possibly the temper so I can look up suitable heat soaks and if I will have to pass on any special instructions.

I also understand this may be proprietary info, and I can respect that if it isn't publicly available.

Offline Rob Cherry

• Factory Pilot
Re: What alloy is used in the E7?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »
6061-T6.  8)   Post pics if you go through with it, I'd love to see.
Synergy Factory Pilot

Offline Ivanstein

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:44:51 AM »
I sent a head block grips, tail grips and some other parts out to be powder coated. Will post pictures when they come back.

Also, after some research and talking to the heat treat methods engineer at work, it seems that powder coating this alloy will slightly affect the solid solution and properties. He said testing indicates it will loose about 0.5% of it's tensile properties, but will be slightly more durable. So, basically it will be just a tad softer depending on the heat level and soak time.

I don't think model helis are designed to be within +0.01 margin of safety, and from a back of the napkin bearing analysis, it appears this one has a generous margin to say the least. So, it should be safe.

Plus... everyone knows powder coating makes it faster!

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
Definitely want to see some pictures when you get it together!
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline gwright

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
Did that with some GMP and later Schluter helicopters a few decades ago. End result is REALLY NICE. Just be aware that it adds thickness, so many areas where parts go together you may have to dremel away the powder coating to get the fit correct again.   Never did a blade grip,.. but  my guess is you'll have to re-bore them to remove the powder coating inside to get the bearings to fit .  Sure will look Kewl after it's done!
Gary Wright

Offline Meawpranee

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 02:54:20 AM »
I am very glad to read this. It is very useful. I read and get more knowledge.